The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

brake bleeding order?

real quick, what is the bleed order for our cars? Also, are there any tips for bleeding brakes on a VR4?

steve

Farthest from brake master cyl to the closest. Rear Rt, Rear Lt, Front Rt, Front Lt.

Edit: [Corrected] See Below!

Last edited by a moderator:

Polish

I just did mine and it went real smooth. In the order Steve mentioned. No tips for you really because it was easy. Don't forget to turn the front wheels, it makes it easier to reach them.

Nijasan

What's the trick to bleeding that hard-to-reach bleeder screw on the ABS unit? The one closer to the fender, the front one is easy to get to, but the back one seems impossible with all the hard lines surrounding it like bamboo surrounding Charlie in the lush jungles of 'nam.

Polish

My ABS is eliminated, can't help you there.

GVR-4

I think the correct order is

1)Right Rear
2)Left Front
3)Left Rear
4)Right Front

I wrote it down on an index card years ago; I think it came from a manual or an FAQ. The order makes sense if the diagonally opposite wheels are paired, which I'm pretty sure they are.

That is correct. The right rear and the left front are on one "circuit" together. The left rear and right front are on the other. You want to completely bleed one pair before you do the other. It will still work if you bleed both rears, then both fronts, but the diagonal sequence is technically correct.

Polish

What about if the ABS is pulled, does that remove that "circuit" because I assume thats built into the ABS unit?

ABS doesn't matter, its the master cylinder and proportioning valve that splits them. Built that way so if you were to pop a brake hose or a caliper you would still have one front brake and one rear brake to stop with.

Polish

Alright then, makes sense.

CP

It doesn't really matter just as long as you're using new fluid, and start with the rears. Get some speedbleeders so you don't have to keep cracking and tightening the bleeder screws after each pump. These also allow you to do it yourself, since the check valve closes with the up-stroke of the pedal and won't let any air into the calipers.

While on this topic, what are some symptoms of the master cylinder going south?

Polish

On my old Acura the pedal got real mushy. Eventually falling to the floor after 2 seconds of braking, made driving quite the challenge. It was an Auto too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts