The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replace your ECU Capacitors or your car will explode. Srsly

I wanted to stess the importance of replacing the capacitor in the ECU. The capacitors used are electrolytic capacitors which means they are acid based over a period of time and heat cycles they will expand to the point where they will become porous and will leak acid on the board. Know symptoms of this is random stalling, a fish like smell, injector(s) not working. I know there is more, maybe Jeff will be nice and chime in.

REPLACE YOUR CAPACITORS! or else you will be mad.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've got a DSM ECU you can borrow while you send yours off to be fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad capacitors can also cause the infamous and dreaded code 44. So change those caps, it is easier than you think.

Also, make sure that that any leakage is removed. Otherwise, you may have the same problems.

quote:Originally posted by bob in chicago:
I've got a DSM ECU you can borrow while you send yours off to Keydiver, Incorporated, Expanded and Extended, to be tweeked. Keydiver is no longer taking in repairs/socketing/caps replacements, sorry. I highly recommend you contact russya on this group, or Dave Mertz of DSMLink in Virginia.
Jeff

MitsuDriver274

hey jeff, do you know anyone that has a ecu test bench or something, i have a downed ecu, i replaced ic 105 and ic 107, and it still don't work. Check as much as i could static testing it. I just don't know anymore

How about some specs on the Caps?

I agree that its very important, lets just give a little more info to the newbs if possible.

I always like to tackle a job with replacement parts already in hand.

PS Jeff is the man!

Terry Posten

I just did an ECU that looked perfect. I removed the caps and one of them had ate through the top of the board Killing 2 runs. Took me an hour more to fix.

Just because they look good, DO NOT TRUST IT.

Please do it NOW!

Check with Jim or Martin over at www.rx4speed.com he replaced the ones i had in my talon. also check his website last time i checked he "SHIPS FOR FREE" he is in NJ

sleepyvr4

you can get the caps for $5 shipped on ebay.

If you need any ecu service done, contact Terry Posten on the board (that's his name and handle). He offers socketing, recapping, and board repairs.

i never knew this.. learning something new everyday.. =] replacing mine asap..

Terry Posten

PLEASE READ THIS POST, PLEASE.....

Dead links in this post, perhaps we could have a running update of who offers cap replacement services and ballpark costs, as well as a new link to the DIY page, I have no idea where to find the info, but jsut a suggestion.

Terry Posten

This link should not die.

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings