The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

spark plug gap

jepherz

Staff member
Not finding it with a quick search. Anybody know the correct gap for the 6es plugs? The underhood tag and manual have differing readings...

Terry Posten

28 to 30.

Just make them all the same size.

atc250r

Staff member
I run about .020 with mine since I am running quite a bit of boost. If you want to tighten it up to .025 or even less it won't be a problem and I think it helps kill knock.

John

jepherz

Staff member
so you make the gap smaller, which makes the plug 'hotter' and then it ignites later?

Thanks for the input thus far guys.

atc250r

Staff member
No. It just makes it easier for the ignition to jump the gap and reduces the chance of a misfire. Naturally it makes for a smaller spark which theoretically will make less power but if it enables you to run with no knock or more boost then it really isn't hurting anything. FWIW I wouldn't bother with a #6 plug, get a #7 and you'll be better off. When they look at you all confused at the parts store just have them get you the NGK plug for a 2003 Evo8 and that'll be the one you want (#7).

John

jepherz

Staff member
Thanks again. So the #7 is basically a regapped #6 with a smaller gap allowing more boost, correct?

Terry Posten

No, it is a cooler plug that allows you to run more boost.

I run 22 spi with my E3 and I run the 7's gapped at 28.

There really is no need to gap smaller with a proper tune.

ken inn

try the bosch W8DTC or the ngk BP6ET. triple electrode plugs factory gapped at .28, exact same heat range and reach for our cars. 3 electrodes are better than 1

I have to agree on the 7s. Ive had much better luck in my cars with those. Well the BRP7ES not the BR7ES plugs that is. However, I guess it all depends on how close to stock your car is too. In basicly stock cars alot of ppl still like the 6's. The 7's allow you to run higher boost with less chance of detonation, but they do seem to foul faster due to being a cooler plug.

Wendy

sleepyvr4

I've had them last 10k before. No prob. They're $1.67 at advance, so if they do "foul" who cares.

Damn 10k.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Hell Ive fouled a set in my driveway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Wendy

JNR

What benefit, if any, would there be to running "8's"?

When I bought the car, it had these in there and I have not really read anybody else running them...It did run good @22psi+ on piss 91 octane, but this was also on the stock (?!) FPR and it ran pretty rich from that...

Ever since, I've been running 7's, but almost seemed to run better with the 8's...weird...

sleepyvr4

I suppose they become necessary with the much bigger turbs (high cfm)? Not that I'll ever find out...

s_firestone

And while we are covering this, the spark plug torque is supposed to be 15lb to 20lb. I like to keep it a bit on the low side, given our head is made out of aluminum and prone to popping threads.

And while we are covering this, the spark plug torque is supposed to be 15lb to 20lb. I like to keep it a bit on the low side, given our head is made out of aluminum and prone to popping threads.

I know that is the correct way, but its still funny how you look over those kind of things when you have changed them a milion times over the years. Ive always down them hand tight with a little bump.

Wendy

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
What benefit, if any, would there be to running "8's"?

The old rule of thumb is for every 100hp you add you should go one step colder. I run a 7 and if they weren't a pain in the ass to get then I'd probably run an 8 in the summer and a 7 in the winter.

Quote:
Damn 10k.. Hell Ive fouled a set in my driveway.

You shouldn't have. If you're fouling them in the driveway then you've got some other problems to attend to. I've been running 7's for almost 3 years now and have only had one set ever foul on me. That was due to me idling the car for a short time in the winter (a couple of minutes) and then shutting it off. After doing this about 10 times without ever driving it they finally fouled but taking them out and blowing air into the cylinders and onto the plugs it started back up. I replaced the plugs shortly after that but I've seen that happen back when I worked at Mitsu and 2G's were brand new yet sometimes if they were shuffled around the port a lot before we got them at the dealer they would foul the stock plugs the same way.

All this spark plug talk has me motivated, I'm ordering a set of 8's tomorrow to see what happens.

John

Damn 10k.. Hell Ive fouled a set in my driveway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You shouldn't have. If you're fouling them in the driveway then you've got some other problems to attend to. I've been running 7's for almost 3 years now and have only had one set ever foul on me. That was due to me idling the car for a short time in the winter (a couple of minutes) and then shutting it off. After doing this about 10 times without ever driving it they finally fouled but taking them out and blowing air into the cylinders and onto the plugs it started back up. I replaced the plugs shortly after that but I've seen that happen back when I worked at Mitsu and 2G's were brand new yet sometimes if they were shuffled around the port a lot before we got them at the dealer they would foul the stock plugs the same way.

Actually that was when I first got the GM maf and it was dumping fuel because it wasnt compensating at the time for the 720s. However I do disagree with being able to run them for 10k miles on a track car. Most of mine foul due to making so many adjustments on the car. Feul, timing, boost, setup etc.

Wendy

Hertz

Staff member
Quote:
try the bosch W8DTC or the ngk BP6ET. triple electrode plugs factory gapped at .28, exact same heat range and reach for our cars. 3 electrodes are better than 1

I think I will!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned