The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Refilling a Trans-x case the easy way!!

Any takers? i want to change the oil in my transfer case and i know somebody out there has a brilliant idea on how to get this done. i only have a crappy trolley jack and 2 jack stands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Barnes

Head to the parts store and pick up a fluid pump. They have ones that will screw into the top of the gear oil bottle, and you can pump it like a big soap dispenser. Or that have a big metal canister one that you can fill with the gear oil, and then inject into the t-case. Thats how I've done it to make it easy.

DarkDevilMMM

there should be a write up on www.vfaq.com how to change tranny and transfer case fluids, it's pretty simple and straight forward, you don't even need a jack and stand to do it, but you need a long tube and funnel, go read up.

once u have fully removed the old oil, put the drain bolt back in, get a funnel, and attach some flexi - type hosing to the bottom of the funnel, u can fill the xfer case by pointing the flexihose down thru the engine bay and in to the filler hole. Make sure the car is on a level surface before u refill. takes about 6 - 800ml of GL4 grade oil.

3Diamond

The rubber hose trick works best for me. Make sure the XC is at a normal temperature (not been driven in past 30 min), shove a tight hose and funnel. Drop like 1 liter into it (make sure it is on level surface) and then yank the hose out. Excess fluid will come out, and after 2-5 min wait you can return the drain screw ant torque to spec.

I use the pump that goes right on the 1 gallon bottle, like Barnes recommended. Works for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian M

I got a "Jays EZ Funnel" from the Snap On truck at work. Its basically a lid (screws to the gear oil bottle) with a aluminum tube that extends to the bottom of the bottle.

In effect, it kinda works like a Juicy Juice box. It comes with small piece of clear hose,stick it in the filler hole and squeeze it a few times and its empty. I love the thing.

I think it was $15 or so.

joec

Make sure you can remove the fill hole before you remove the drain plug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ted Andkilde

Get one of these:

http://www.autobarn.net/te30-118.html

Big industrial syringe type deal (roughly grease gun sized) -- suck it out of the bottle, blow it into the Xfer case -- best $10 you'll ever spend.

Fills the tranny and rear diff just as easily and works just as well with heavy gear oil as ATF.

Cheers, Ted

CP

For the gravity feed options using some clear tubing and a funnel: I cut a "V" notch in the car end of my hose, so I can close the V when inserting, and it expands when I let go, sort of locking the hose in the hole. The rear diff is a bitch to fill using this method though, because it's tough to get the funnel end high enough to move the fluid quickly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts