The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Looking into buying a galant vr4

Odion1776

I’ve been looking into getting a galant vr4 recently but it’s super hard to find info on these cars. I currently own 2 Miatas which I I’m looking to sell to purchase a vr4. The Miatas are great but I want something that’s not a convertible, has more space and is awd. I’ve looked into Subaru’s but I’m not a fan of boxer engines and every drives Subaru’s. So now I’ve set my eye on getting a galant vr4. Are these cars relatively easy to work on (lots of differing options)? Are they reliable with basic maintenance? Is it overall a good/fun car to drive? I found a 1989 vr4 near me imported from Japan with 90k miles for $8k. The previous owner just did the clutch, flywheel, trans seals, axles, and driveshaft but it needs new paint and tires. Is this a good deal?

yubh8tn

click

click

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

These cars aren't perfect daily-drivers. They can be, and a lot of people (including myself) try to make them so, but it's much harder than a car thats 20 or 30 years newer, such as a Subaru like you said. If you decide to go for it, they are amazing unique cars that stun pretty much everybody. Have a backup plan (car) in case this Galant VR4 doesn't pan out as a dd. Something that old with that low of miles means it probably sat for a long time. Be careful. Can you link us the car so we can share our opinions?

Let's see what the greatly more experienced people of this forum say before you trust anything I do. lol

Last edited:

gvr4ever

At this point in time, rust free or minimum rust is the main thing to go after. I don't think that JDM is that great of a deal. They can be reliable, but probably not daily turn key reliable, just due to the age. I would go after a stock one, or one that is properly, tastefully done, but catered to street use.

Coming from a MX-5, the stock Galant VR4 suspension rides really high and soft. H&R still makes springs, and coil over kits are still available. I have a H&R/KYB combo and I like it. Stock sway bars are actually decent for the street as long as I don't try and take corners like I can in my Celica GTS. Due to the weight, that isn't even a goal for me.

Unless you can get a fantastic deal, I'd shy away from ones that have sat for a really long time, but mine sat (inside a garage) for 3-4 years at one point and I drained the gas and changed the fuel filter and fluids and it started right up and compression was still good. I think I did pour a little oil down the spark plug wells and let it sit over night too.

Last edited:

CutlassJim

Those seats tho

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Your going to have to start looking at least regionally in your part of the country and be patient. I got mine in 1998 and I still spent over a year looking and had to drive out of state. I was able to just drive it back, cause it was 1998 and the car had 60K stock miles. You might have to use a transport, unless it is really roadworthy already.

They are always coming up for sale, but at the moment, not too many. Just wait.

raptorWagon

There's no real added benefit to the JDM cars other than they already have the bumpers that most of us buy anyway. I should probably go work on mine today

mk2davis

If it were me, I think I'd be looking in the Southwest for a mostly rust free example. I don't think any will be TOTALLY without it, but I imagine they have be better than what you'll find in Seattle.

A common criticism of left hand drive cars is that it's harder to pass because your sitting on the wrong side. Just something to be aware of.

Looking at a 30 year old car for a daily is a tough putt. Not impossible, just tough. Do you like to work on your own stuff?

Blkghst

There is a guy on Facebook name Zach Reir that lives in Ferndale, Wa selling one for like 3k but says all it needs is a clutch

turbowop

Quoting mk2davis:
I imagine they have be better than what you'll find in Seattle.

You'd be surprised at how rust free the cars are here in the PNW. During those years all that was used on snowy roads was sand. They now use magnesium chloride unfortunately but most GVR4's from here were only driven during the sand years so they're mostly if not all rust free. And Seattle is a long way from the ocean. It's not like cars are rusting out from the Puget Sound or the rain.

raptorWagon

Quoting mk2davis:

A common criticism of left hand drive cars is that it's harder to pass because your sitting on the wrong side. Just something to be aware of.

Did you mean Right hand drive? LHD is what we have stateside.

mk2davis

Raptorwagon, as usual you are correct. I meant RHD.

transparentdsm

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting Odion1776:</font><hr />
I’ve been looking into getting a galant vr4 recently but it’s super hard to find info on these cars. I currently own 2 Miatas which I I’m looking to sell to purchase a vr4. The Miatas are great but I want something that’s not a convertible, has more space and is awd. I’ve looked into Subaru’s but I’m not a fan of boxer engines and every drives Subaru’s. So now I’ve set my eye on getting a galant vr4. Are these cars relatively easy to work on (lots of differing options)? Are they reliable with basic maintenance? Is it overall a good/fun car to drive? I found a 1989 vr4 near me imported from Japan with 90k miles for $8k. The previous owner just did the clutch, flywheel, trans seals, axles, and driveshaft but it needs new paint and tires. Is this a good deal?

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Are you still looking for a VR4? I might have something you'd be interested in send me a PM and I'll give you my number.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts