The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

J pipe?

Sam

Does anyone still make it for our cars? The one that goes over the manifold. Found one site that says its for the vr4 but i think its the same one as the 1g or 2gs.

transparentdsm

Not the same as a 1G or a 2G. If you are looking for the stock OEM j-pipe you will need to find it for the Galant VR4. I'm sure someone has one in the for sale section. Try board member POT for an OEM.

Now if your trying to install an aftermarket front mount, you can make a 1G/2G 14b/16g j-pipe fit with it's down firing angle, but it requires work and patience.

A 14b/16g OEM j-pipe will not work in any way what so ever. It faces the complete opposite direction.

Sam

Yeah, i wanted to use the 1g style but not sure about clearance. Im doing custom fmic so the condenser and radiator is out and replaced with the half radiator so ill have room to go straight to do a rear inlet intercooler. I saw that vw radiator fit perfect in where the condenser use to be but than im not sure if i would have the space for my intercooler piping. So much dilemma right.

Does it make that much of a difference to have that 2 inch j pipe? Its going into a evo 16g so if i use the oem one than just cut the hose a lil ways up than use a reducer coupling to sizer up than it would technically be the same thing right?

transparentdsm

The VW rad works great, if your going this route with a rear exit front mount intercooler then any cheap eBay j-pipe will work. Start with everything removed, then place the intercooler where you want it and build around it.

I have done this before myself. click

Somewhere in the middle of this thread I did the VW rad. Read through. I hope it help you.

Sam

Thats a nice fitment. I always saw side pics of it, never actually seeing how much room was left.
Your intercooler looks exactly like mine so theres hope to make everything fit. Thanks for the big help

transparentdsm

I forget if it's an ets or vrsf, but it is for a 1G not a Galant and it fit really well. Just took a little work.

Edit: glad I could help.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

I had a 1g short route kit on my car, with the 1g j-pipe and it worked fine with the stock radiator with one caveat, and that was that I had to shift the radiator to the side (forget which, but search for one of my posts about radiators and there's a picture... I did it 13 years ago and can't remember off the top of my head). Piping fit fine, with a slim fan, though I still think it would be a problem with A/C...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts