The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Now she runs, but lumpy

mk2davis

I may post a short video on YouTube so you all have a better sense of what is happening. As the title states, she runs, but it seems lumpy to me. I set the idle to 900 per vfaq instructions, grounding out the number 10 pin inside the cabin and the timing lead. Also set the timing to 5 degrees by only grounding out the timing lead. Is there something else that needs to adjusted? The motor is a new build. After a couple hundred miles, I'll drain the oil, and then it's off to CA smog.

The old fuel was drained, anda new fuel filter was installed.

Eztoril

Did you wait till the cooling fans turned on then off? Setting timing needs to be done at operating temperature. I've only used the grounding connector under the hood to set base timing. Have I been doing it wrong lol?

mk2davis

I did wait for the cooling fans to cycle. And you were right for base timing, grounding the two leads is only for setting idle speed.

As this point, I'm going to take the throttle body apart and look at what disaster awaits. Today she resumed doing what she used to do before I redid a few electrical connections. She starts, idles like poopoo at 500rpm, and then stalls. If you give it gas, rpms bounce up, then slowly go down even if throttle pedal is stationary, and then bounce up once throttle pedal is released. This happens for the first 20ish seconds. Then everything is normal.

mk2davis

Turns out one of the cells was bad on the ISC. I tested pins 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 4 and 5, 5 and 6. 1 and 2 was open, the other 3 had 28-30 ohms. If any one knows of an inexpensive place to find these, I'd appreciate the info. So far in my cursory search, they are about 400 and up.

Now the FIAV... I was dumb and disassembled and then tested it. The depth to the little plunger was:
1.27"in 90 C water
1.46" at room temp
1.44" in 0 C water

Does this seem appropriate, and any tricks to set this in it's range? If I tested before disassembling, an I'd be better off. If I don't get any ideas, I'll close this valve and connect the coolant lines as stock.

It's a process, and I am making progress. So there is that. Finding stuff wrong is better than not. TIA for your help.

mk2davis

I did the FIAV mod, although I haven't pressed on the plug yet. I got a ISC from orielly, so that should be good to go.

Unless someone waves me off, things are going back together tomorrow

mk2davis

Got everything back together, and grounded out the two plugs to set the BISS. Idle was rock solid at 800 rpm. But when I disconnect the grounds, it shoots up to 2k, and eventually settles to about 1600.

Ideas?

ktmrider

The ECU driver circuits are bad. Most likely it burned up the new ISC too.

Lots of info on checking your ECU operation including required component checks and replacements.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts