The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#205 checking in for duty

gs300cky

Just wanted to introduce myself here, as cory or #205 with my 91 galant vr4. 🤗

Finally picked it up after begging my neighbor to sell it to me.
So far it had exhaust and FMIC installed but nothing else I can tell is aftermarket.
I’m hoping to get it running as the car will turn over after some starter fluid and then it dies after 3-5 sec.
I want to eventually get it cleaned up and simple but sexy, however, for now it’s just keeping the sleeper beater look.

I’m looking for help and suggestions though on upgrading the intake and also where to start with this car on diagnosing the engine failure.
Any help and or guidance I appreciate. I’m new to the mistubishi sode of things and have always been Subaru or Honda’s and Lexus.
Thanks
Guys

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

first thought from your description is the coolant temp sensor that controls cold start enrichment. it's the two pin sensor on the thermostat housing (closed connector, not exposed pins).

My advice: Maintenance before mods.

When you do the timing belt, use a mitsubishi OEM timing tensioner, from the dealer, dont get one from anywhere else.

gs300cky

Thank you on that info and yes I’m doing all fluids,belts, hoses and any other small stuff now.
I just did the oil change and plugs next is the gas I want to get rid of and get a new pump as well possibly.
The one thing I also wanted to check was the fuel pump relay behind the glove box but I haven’t found him yet.

gs300cky

img.php
[/url]

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
Also, you'll eventually need to change out that oem maf for a 2g maf as is has a higher range in frequency vs stock. Investing in an eprom socketed ecu and Ecmlink will forever help you on your eventual mods. That being said, as Josh mentioned, maintenance is key.

gs300cky

So where can I find the 2g mad and wire harness? I was reading about that and I couldn’t seem to find the wire harness that swaps it all or computes it.
Plus how can I tell if I have the upgraded parts or the ecmlink ? Sorry for the stupid questions

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
What that paper tag with the list of criteria is telling you is there is a "Keydiver" chip in the ECU. It says 2g MAS, so you should have a 2g mass airflow sensor on there potentially already.

ECM Link is a newer more capable version of the control system, which also replaces the stock EPROM chip in the ECU with their own version. Open up the ECU box so we can see what's inside, and take a picture of your air flow sensor.

Wire harness adapters are available if you don't already have one on the car.

gs300cky

Well finally have had more time and weather permitting to work on her (garage without heat sucks to work in)
But thank you iceman for the parts and pieces I bought from you. That has helped ALOT!!!
Now I’m finally feeling Halfway better about turning her on. Just finishing up my new wire harness retape job and cleaning up just a few broken wires otherwise perfect
The left size (interior ecu connections) are complete, now just the main engine bay part left.
I’m going thru regrouping the wires and doing all new tape with TESA tape. So far I’m happy for being my first time. Any advice on things to do while taping and removing my harness let me know.
I already have been going thru and cleaning out the engine bay rust and debris. Not to rusty thankfully just VERY DIRTY.

gs300cky

Almost 100% finished with the new harness and repairs. I have maybe 4 wires to solder on new connectors and figure out where they go.... but otherwise I’m happy with my first harness retape and repair job so far, only 5hours in and another maybe 2 left.

gs300cky

Quoting iceman69510:
What that paper tag with the list of criteria is telling you is there is a "Keydiver" chip in the ECU. It says 2g MAS, so you should have a 2g mass airflow sensor on there potentially already.

ECM Link is a newer more capable version of the control system, which also replaces the stock EPROM chip in the ECU with their own version. Open up the ECU box so we can see what's inside, and take a picture of your air flow sensor.

Wire harness adapters are available if you don't already have one on the car.

Here was the picture you had asked for previously, although now I replaced it since there was some acid leaking on the circuit board

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I was suggesting that we view the chip and label, but there is no chip installed in that picture. Keydiver always had labels on his chips.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
As stated above, that label on the chip will cement a bunch of details in our minds.

In the first picture of the engine bay, there is a stock appearing air can with what would be a stock 1G 91-94 style MAF, so that would not match the papers from a keydiver chip stating 2G MAF connections/operation.

That chip will tell us a whole lot more about why your car does or doesn't run, just based on parts compatibility.

Greater issues could be a work but these are the basics to determine what you are working with.

Also, you have an AFPR (aftermarket fuel pump regulator) and a MBC (manual boost controller) setup, so those aren't stock and can run into problems - more so the regulator if it has developed a diaphragm leak or isn't set to the proper values anymore. Any fuel into the vacuum line will be an indicator of a leak internally.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts