The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No start Help!

1009VR4

Hey guys, this is my first VR4 it's a bit of a mess I that picked up from a friend. I just replaced the transmission fired it up yesterday and it ran. I did adjust some settings on the MAF translator while it was running (wrong injector size was previously selected). Went out this morning to start it now the motor spins but it won't fire after 4-5 tries I will get a giant back fire. I know I am getting spark out of the wires and with the backfire I assume Its getting fuel. It seems like a possible timing issue? I do have a CEL I did hook up a LED to the test port but I either don't know how to count or I am not making sense of the flashes. I added a youtube link with the light. Any ideas?

click

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Was it running normally when it ran? Sounded correct, no rough running or anything?

1009VR4

It was running rough when I got the car but it would start and idle. It Sounded a little bumpy when running and was running pig rich. Once I changed the settings on the MAF translator to match the injector size (440 was set for 850) it smoothed out quite a bit and didn’t smell like raw fuel. Still wanted to die if the idle was below a 1000rpm. Now I’m here it will just turn and turn and turn till I have one giant back fire that even Uncle Buck would be embarrassed by.

1009VR4

Thanks iceman for checking in. Spent some time drinking with her and found two issues. When I moved the translator box there was a slightly loose wire and it was so rich the plugs were fouled. Running again!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Good news.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts