The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

starion/conquest tsi engine

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
No, it's rear wheel drive.

tektic

The transmission side of the block has a wide bolt spacing. No awd starion in the USA.

thomcasey

Quoting galantless1:
wasn't the starion /conquest at one time awd?

No, it has always been RWD. There were very few AWD models, but they were for only rally teams.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Also older fuel control system, turbo and engine technology. there are reasons why Starion owners upgrade to 4G63 engines.

fuel

The Astron 4G54 engine has origins dating about ten years earlier than the 4G63 series. It's a very basic design and built too heavy, though it needs to be to cope with the harmonics of a large capacity 4-cyl engine. It is physically longer thanks to its wider bore spacing and timing chain components up front. It has been mounted transverse before in vehicles like the Chrysler K cars and the Magna in Australia, in fact the first generation Magna which is basically a 5th gen Galant (same chassis as the 6G Galant) had to be widened 2.5" in order to fit the 4G54 transversely, so there's no hope it will fit into a 6G Galant.

If I were ever to do an engine transplant to the 6G Galant, it would probably be a 6G7x series V6 as we know they already fit in the engine bay (in a 5th gen Galant).

4Grim

Any particular reason you would want to swap a 4G54 into a GVR4?

The 4G63 is proven and more efficient and has much more aftermarket support to meet pretty much any realistic power goals you may have.

4G54 is a pretty strong and capable motor, but I would only swap a motor for a better motor and in this case its not.

4G63>4G54

Jesus_Negros

I have a hard time justifying my built 4g54b in my Conquest, couldn't imagine swapping it in anything else to be honest. When not if I blow it up im probably going jz+r154 or 4g63+t56.

Leon_R

4g54 cracks heads at stock boost levels, I can't ever imagine anyone going to it...

fuel

^^ it's luck of the draw with that. The N/A ones with a wheezy 100hp manage to crack heads too. The early Sirius 4G62/4G63 SOHC heads used to do exactly the same, especially if they were equipped with MCA-Jet valves.

Leon_R

But cracking heads aside, it is a very different engine. Lots of low end torque and NOTHING at top! I had '86 back in 1991, when I test drove my first DSM (90 GSX). It remember thinking: "This Eclipse engine so happy to rev high!". Both cars were 100% stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts