The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Depo Corner Plug/Harness

mooserage

Staff member
Just got a pair of the Depo reproduction amber corners, but I realized after getting them in my hands that the plugs are different from the stock USDM running light corners. I tried searching, but I couldn't find a mention of this issue. I found some info on converting them to turn signals, which is what I might do, but just figured I'd wire them up as running lights for now.

How have others solved this? Most parts stores don't seem to have the pigtail I need to wire these in, so wondering if anyone knows where I can get them.

Here is a shot of the plug on the lens side:
3.JPG

Thanks.

mooserage

Staff member
Ok, thanks guys, sounds like most people are just going to dual filament. I was hoping to just plug n play with running lights for a while. I'll start looking at the options mentioned for dual filament though.

bradrs

I'm pretty sure I know where you can get that connector, don't know if they make a pigtail. Do you have any pics of what the harness plug should look like?

mooserage

Staff member
So here is how I solved it for anyone that wants to keep just the parking/running lights for the corners.

I picked up these sockets/pigtails: click and just slightly modified the plug to fit.

First I lined up the sockets, the Depo corners have 3 similar sized tab receptors and 1 long one. The sockets have the same: 3 similar sized tabs and 1 long, but its a little too long. The long tab on these sockets also has an "L" shape to it. Anyway, I took a little bit of plastic off the tab at a time with a sharp box cutter so it would fit. Take your time, wear gloves, and try not to cut yourself. Remember you can always take more off later, but not less. Test fit as you go.

Original length vs. shortened (red arrow):
a20a8aed-5194-4792-ad33-71bc45171231.jpg

From the side after I shaved both (Left fits way more snug, because I took less off):
IMG_20170525_211340.jpg

At this point the sockets should go in and turn so they are pretty snug, but they probably dont feel tight and look like the below picture. Note, the plug is not straight up and down:
IMG_20170525_212013.jpg

That is because the "little" part of the "L" is just a bit too long for the Depo socket. So, you want to (again, a little at a time) shave some of the "L" down like the socket below on the left:
IMG_20170525_211939.jpg

After that, it should be able to turn that last 1/16th of a turn and, if you shaved just enough, it will create a nice seal and fit snuggly, like so:
IMG_20170525_212045.jpg

Final on both:
IMG_20170525_212309.jpg

A couple of notes on doing this:
-Make sure you use a sharp blade and take your time
-When you connect the wires, disconnect the battery and preferably use some weather sealed connectors (I used some heat shrink and sealed connectors)
-The new 1156 bulbs are a higher wattage (27W) than the original bulbs (5W), so I switched to 1156 LEDs (2W) to avoid putting a higher load on the factory wires and system. I'd probably recommend using a relay if you go for the higher wattage bulbs
-As with anything around here, do this at your own risk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts