The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trans shim question

tektic

OK... another bearing shim question. I was getting measurements of 1.56mm and 1.67 but now with smaller pieces of solder it looks to be closer to 1.45mm

I have shimmed it with .14 + 1.5 based on the earlier numbers. But now that I'm thinking about it, this seems wrong. So now it looks like I'm out of spec by .12mm. Wish I left out the second shim.

How much of a problem is this going to be? I don't want to take it apart again. I don't want it to break either.

I can't turn the diff by hand but it easily moves with pliers. The trans is able to go through every gear.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Tapered bearings have to have preload, ball and cage have a free play spec IIRC. All shafts have to have preload (unless noted), otherwise when things warm up .... they may not have the designed pressure acting on them and therefore may have free play. See where this is going? Free play bad except where ball and cages are concerned, within reason.

I gave my trans to a shop just for this reason, along with a sheet of intended bearing preload and free play I was looking for based upon the transmission preload sheet (HP/torque rating chart) that was listed on the site years ago.

I use an AWD ball and cage setup in my FWD trans, thus the need for free play.

Here is what was posted here as a cross post from what Tim Zimmer had on another forum years ago.

Quote:

The following is for W5M33 AWD 5-speed DSM transmissions:

Ok, stock specs are:

The Preload Setting is listed in SAE (inches):

Input Shaft --> 0.000" - 0.002" ENDPLAY
Intermediate Shaft --> 0.003" - 0.005" PRELOAD
Center Differential --> 0.003" - 0.005" PRELOAD
Output Shaft --> 0.003" - 0.005" PRELOAD
Front Differential --> 0.002" - .0067" ENDPLAY

These are what I normally use:

Stock/Street Transmissions with less than 400TQ at the crank:

Input Shaft --> 0.004" - 0.007" PRELOAD
Intermediate Shaft --> 0.005" - 0.007" PRELOAD
Center Differential --> 0.005" - 0.007" PRELOAD

Street/Strip Transmissions with less than 600TQ at the crank:

Input Shaft --> 0.005" - 0.007" PRELOAD
Intermediate Shaft --> 0.007" - 0.009" PRELOAD

All out RACE Transmissions that are Rebuilt/Inspected regularly with more than 600TQ at the crank:

Input Shaft --> 0.007" PRELOAD
Intermediate Shaft --> 0.008" - 0.010" PRELOAD
Output Shaft --> 0.004" - 0.006" PRELOAD

For Extremely HIGH HP/TQ transmissions (As in ~900-1000+TQ at the crank):

Input Shaft --> 0.007" PRELOAD
Intermediate Shaft --> 0.010" - 0.012" PRELOAD
Output Shaft --> 0.004" - 0.006" PRELOAD

These figures are normally what I use, unless a customer has a specific number they want to run for shims.

As well, each transmission rebuilder will shim differently, or not even reshim whatsoever (reusing stock shims). Most transmission rebuilders will not tell you these numbers whatsoever, as this is what makes their transmissions shift like butter with all the other mods that they do to the shift rails, hub and sliders, gears, linkage, etc.

I would recommend using a quality Micrometer that is accurate to 0.0001", and I normally do two or three seperate solder-tests per bearing race and then take the average of each test to see if there is anything out of the ordinary, and then I select the shim by adding the preload figure listed above to the solder average thickness, or subtract the endplay figure listed above from the solder average thickness.

If you need the part number for a shim, feel free to PM me, or reference a factory service manual for all the part numbers of shims for each transmission model.

thomcasey

A friend of mine locally (Mitsubishi Master Tech) took his Shep transmission apart to see what the difference was. He noted the primary difference was that Shep shimmed the crap out of his transmissions (outside of the normal hardened parts). This makes them balky when cold, but when warm they shift great. Practically have to force the case closed with the bolts or something to clamp it closed when tightening it.

tektic

I'm a little over. Is it worth the 4 hours and the parts delivery for the miniscule difference?

I got standard and metric tolerances confused.

Last edited:

thomcasey

Quoting 1qkfwd:
Not only is he on the link forums he's on dsmtuners. His screen name i believe is twicks69. I've chatted with him quite a few times he's a good guy. He has had tons of dyno time on his 2g and lots of trans rebuilds on other cars to.

Check with Tim Zimmer. He could probably tell you if it is worthwhile or not.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting thomcasey:
A friend of mine locally (Mitsubishi Master Tech) took his Shep transmission apart to see what the difference was. He noted the primary difference was that Shep shimmed the crap out of his transmissions (outside of the normal hardened parts). This makes them balky when cold, but when warm they shift great. Practically have to force the case closed with the bolts or something to clamp it closed when tightening it.

Interesting find.

I know we all have issues with these transmission liking or not, to sink into gear quickly when cold, versus warm. My FWD DSM trans is no different even with newer parts installed (syncros/single or double).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts