The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pull engine to replace oilpump?

gvr4144

Hey guys, I'm doing a timing belt and headgasket overhual because of a crank seal leak. I was planning on doing the oilpump aswell. My question is weather or not I have to pull the block to put a new oil pump on?

thomcasey

I would assume not since people have performed the BSE with the motor in. I assume you already have the balance shafts gone? You will have to drop the pan for sure to un-bolt the oil pickup tube.

gvr4144

I still have my balance shaft belt for drivability. I couldn't find anything if someone has done it with the bs.

fuel

If you still have the balance shafts it will be hard to do it in place, as when you pull the oil pump the rear shaft comes out with it and you'll find the driver's side frame rail is in the way.

How many miles has the engine done? Is there a reason you need to replace the oil pump, such as low pressure etc? If the oil pump is working fine currently I would just leave it in place and replace the crank seal and call it a day. The oil pump is hardly a wear item like the water pump or timing belt etc. It should last the entire life of the engine.

turbowop

Yup, just replace the seals. It can be done in car, but I wouldn't bother unless there was something actually wrong with the oil pump itself.

gvr4144

It's an aftermarket high volume pump made by I think Toga or something like that. The motor has about 17k but the oil pump has seemed to always whine under acceleration since I've owned the car. About 10k miles. I just really would like to go with an oem for logevity.

fuel

Follow these instructions - click

You'll need to remove the transfer case and drop the exhaust and oil pan and lower the engine down a bit.

gvr4144

Quoting turbowop:
Yup, just replace the seals. (It can be done in car), but I wouldn't bother unless there was something actually wrong with the oil pump itself.

I like Marks optimism saying it can be done lol. Seeing how I do already have a kevlar bs belt and I wanna keep the bs for smoother idle/driving, I'm going to go for it.

turbowop

It's not just optimism. I've done it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Back in '03. Balance shaft removal. I can't remember if it's needed or not but I pulled the whole front cover and oil pump off the engine. Hard to believe but I've still never had the shortblock out of my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

tektic

What are you saving from not pulling the engine? The only reason I wouldn't pull it is if I didn't have a hoist.

gvr4144

I don't have a garage is the main reason..

mitsuturbo

Quoting gvr4144:
I still have my balance shaft belt for drivability. I couldn't find anything if someone has done it with the bs.

Remove them. There's no noticeable decrease in "drivability" with them removed, but there is a marked improvement in "reliability".

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts