The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

favorite cheap catch can?

tektic

I'm looking for something cheap simple and effective. I don't really want to do any modifying. I came across this and would probably replace the filter so i have two lines going to the valve cover. anyone have a better suggestion?

click

ApexHunter

Doing tech inspection for the HMSA these past few years has caused me to re-evaluate a bit here. While i'm all for a properly baffled can, particularly on high specific output forced induction applications, it would blow your mind how many of these rich schmucks with priceless historic race cars use modified aluminum water bottles, like the kind you'd buy in the Outdoor section at Walmart, or perhaps something even more ghetto.

Granted, this is mostly on normally aspirated stuff that's decades old, and again i'm all for a properly baffled can in your case, but my point is that at the end of the day it just needs to a) not leak b) be secure c) be in a location that is easy to drain and check level and d) depending on the engine and catch can configuration, be properly baffled. I feel like you are on the right track here and could probably make your own fairly easily and economically.

Last edited:

tektic

I got the one in the first post for $40. It looks like a nice one. I've seen other companies remarket it for as much as $180. It's design made the most sense to me out of the many cheep ones I looked at. I will be connecting the filtered port to the intake manifold and the other two to larger modified valve cover ports. It will be going on a not turbo 4g63. Even the nonturbo cars have valve cover gasket failures that cake the whole bay with oil. I'm trying to avoid that with the larger ports.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Did you pay the $70 shipping shown in that ebay link?

thomcasey

With that herrendous shipping price (2 months via china-post no less) added to the price, you could have gotten THIS from JMF.

tektic

No, I got the same one in black for $39 shipped. Still from china though.

I ordered some hose barbs for the valve cover too. 1/4"npt x 12mm (1/2") id hose

I just shaved a valve cover and removed the baffle to clean it. I'll drill and tap for the bigger fittings today or tomorrow. Will also drill and tap for new pan head screws to hold the baffle back in and smooth the inside of the valve cover. Its a very rough cast. will post pictures when I have some progress to show.

I noticed that the bottom half was very clean but the top half was filthy. I'm pretty sure this is because the port for the pcv valve is half the diameter of the one that goes out the side to the intake. That or the pcv valve was clogged.

4-29-17 update:
Drilled taped and polished the valve cover. M3x.05 to hold the baffles in place and 1/4" npt for the stock vents. Need to finish the outside now. The 1/4" hole just fits.

I decided to shave it and it's a little rough currently. Thinking of using jbweld to fill some deep gouges. I don't think regular body filler would work out right. Would it?

Last edited:

tektic

So the catch can came in. It doesn't seem like its going to work the way I wanted. The side with the filter is the one with the two ports. That should be the vacuum side. But that would leave me with only one input. Also the threads are m16x1.5. Kind of hard to find fittings and impossible locally. An6 and an8 fittings are available. I'm using hose barbs so I was thinking of just retapping to 3/8" npt. My plan is to put a 3/8 npt to 3/8 hose barb in the top and t it off between the intake pipe and the manifold with a one way valve on the intake pipe side. And then run the front ports to the valve cover. Inside the can I would run rubber tubes to the bottom put some stainless pot scrubbers in there and tap the 3/8 outlet with a 1/4" sinthered filter. Only problem is getting the tube to run off the little side. I can tap a fitting on the inside too but the dipstick is cut in a bad spot for this. I can maybe tap it an then just drill a relief for the dip stick when the fittings in place. I should have just got the can I got last time. Should have known I wouldn't leave well enough alone.

Here's the ports for the valve cover. 1/2" barb fittings drilled out to fit the copper tube.

G

Staff member

FlyingEagle

Staff member
G,

What product have you or would you install, size wise?

I saw their product list but was wondering if there is a model that you were using; currently or in the past?

G

Staff member
I have this one >> click One tank for the pcv port and one for the vc port.

marvinmadman

I come across used UPR cans on the Ford forums all the time for under that price. That's the brand I run on all my cars. Good build quality and they work.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts