The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Low idle will not stay running

2002jm

Thinking about buying a car that will start but will not idle.
Where would I start, and what would I check to get this fixed?
thanks,
jm

FlyingEagle

Staff member
"a" car, and by that you mean a Galant VR4 ?

This should be in the Newbie Dept. Not meaning any offence, but we need a little more to go on and this is where the idle issues and the like are discussed.

Give us some info and we can point you in some directions to head.

2002jm

ok, if I get the car, I will repost in the correct area. I just thought
there might be some really common problems related to low idle that could give
me an idea of how hard it is to fix.
thanks,
jm

FlyingEagle

Staff member
We can move posts in house, so we have that covered. Voila.

Still need to know what kind of car you are looking at buying.

There are many people that post about cars other than the Galant, so that is the reason behind my question, as to what kind of car and engine you are looking at.

There are many key things to look at when diagnosing low idle, not the least of which can be throttle blades adjusted too far closed, ISC device not working properly (ISC or ECU taken down as a result of ISC shorting), ISC chamber coked with carbon, or a poorly running engine, MAF sensor out of range, fuel delivery issues, clogged air filter ....... the list is extensive.

If there are any codes, that can lead you in one direction but there can still be underlying mechanical issues at work that trigger codes.

These are all the things that flood through the minds of the user base that navigate the Newbie section, and hope to help people.

transparentdsm

^ spot on. way to vague of a question. there are way to many things it can be without having more info. like if you rev the car will it stay on? is it surging? it could be as simple as a disconnected vacuum line.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts