The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

is this a vr4 4g63t?

vince232

hi guys im new in modifying cars. i just bought a 4g63t for a good deal and the owner said it came from an eclipse. but some are saying it is from a 6th gen vr4
so now i have the engine installed in a lancer and i find it somewhat slow. so i want to identify first which car did the engine really came from and start from there what upgrades to get
can you help me identify which car did this really come from? thanks here are the pics of the engine and turbo

stock engine except for the pipings. we needed to mod it to maximize the benefit from the evo 3 hood that i got

click

click

click

click

click

Last edited:

thomcasey

What all did you transfer onto the engine? the Intake Manifold and Thermostat housing do not look like 6th Gen Galant or 1g Eclipse in the US.

vince232

not so sure. what i know is that the engine is all stock except from the stainless pipes.
they needed to mod the pipes so it can fit in a lancer and maximize the benefit from the air vents of the evo 3 hood.
i also know the ecu code which is e2t37876

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Picture of the ECU circuit board and numbers on the board and case.
Is there an Eprom chip in the ECU (a special socket is installed and can allow removal of the Eprom chip for this)?
Picture of the circuit board with particular attention to the large cylinders (capacitors) because they are very suspect if they have not been inspected and if found to be original, replaced in short order.
We can tell you what ECU you have by the numbers, and what if any chip is installed.
Also, if your ECU has two circuit boards, then that is also a defining feature.
We have a bunch of questions and pictures will speak 1000 words, so we can definitely give you a hand!
Picture of the left side (when standing in front of the car) of the cylinder head. (should be a designation of the type of head - 16, 18, 20 to indicate 1.6L, 1.8L etc)
Intake looks like the Evo3 style.
Picture of your mass airflow sensor sticker (this tells us what type it is) and whether there is a honeycomb anti turbulence device still installed inside.
Picture of the top of the fuel injectors (blue, yellow, pink, grey - this is what we are looking for, and shape - the picture will tell us that).

Once we know what head you have and what intake, we can tell you if the gaskets between the two should even line up.

Also, can you tell us if the motor mounts are located on the transmission bellhousing/case or the motor block?
If it looks like motor mounts are on the transmission side, then be sure to look and see if the block has any mounting points that would have been used previously to mount the engine.

Thom is spot on, because I also, have never seen that thermostat housing or outlet setup.

Once we know what motor you have, ECU running it, and MAF and any chip compensation, then we may be able to point you in the direct of any massive discrepancies (parts that should not be used together or just maintenance and checking all base settings/boost leaks, etc).

Your BOV (blow off valve) could be installed incorrectly or not working properly, vent filter on the side of the rocker cover should be recirculated, PCV valve could be sticking, spark plugs could be in need of changing, base timing could be off, mass airflow sensor could be mismatched, injectors could be the wrong size for what the ECU wants them to be, the list continues. This is why we have to start with what you have and move forward!

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I just spotted a setup very similar to this (lancerman) as he was posting on the colt site.
The motor even had the same thermostat/outlet setup installed, and it was on a Summit van aka the RVR.
I was at work when I posted, and likely missed the four extra photos.

Will still be good news to confirm the other details I mentioned above, just so our new member can find out exactly where his setup stands. Nothing better than tuning around unknown variables. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

vince232

hi allanl so are you positive that this is a jdm rvr?
haha i started this thread since there are guys who says this are from vr4

brisvr4

Yep, as per above posts this is from a RVR sports gear auto.

vince232

Is it this click

Or the hypersport which i think is above 200hp
Also can i fit a td05 without changing injectors? Or i need to upgrade the injectors first?

vince232

Please guys tell me the engine i got is this

The Hyper Sports Gear R trim package in Japan used the drivetrain of the first Mitsubishi Galant VR-4; the 4G63T 2.0 L 16V DOHC turbo straight-4 mated to either a four-speed auto or a five speed manual which was not offered in North America. Open front and rear differentials were used on vehicles equipped with 4WD. Power output was rated at 170–184 kW (231–250 PS; 228–247 hp

AllanL

Quoting vince232:
hi allanl so are you positive that this is a jdm rvr?
haha i started this thread since there are guys who says this are from vr4

if you base it only on the valve cover, it is a galant vr4 valve cover.

all other parts of the engine indicate otherwise.

your ecu is from an RVR HSG [Hyper Sports Gear] 4G63.

MAF is 609.

turbo is probably a TD04HL-13T.

injectors part number is MD186379 INP-018 [black top 450cc like the 95~99 Eclipse?].

before upgrading anything, do all the maintenance items first.

going bigger on the turbo [without any other upgrades] is not a 'wise' first step...

just my honest opinion...

Last edited:

vince232

Hmm so this is a jdm right? 230ps? Is it a 7 bolt?
Aside from changing all the filters belts and oil. What should i change first before the turbo?

vince232

Ah. Oh yeah im done with all of that.thought i needed to change some other parts before the turbo. Im aiming for maybe about 250 to 280hp
Hoping i only need to change turbos. Injectors and a good tune

strokin4dr

Post some pics of the lancer. Where did you buy the engine and hood?

vince232

here. bought a galant 7g with the said 4g63t for about 1200 usd then bought a lancer for another 1200 usd then transfered the engine to the lancer

click

inside the hood

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts