The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil filter housing

FullPEAK

Hey everyone, so I'm putting in a new engine into my galant and it's a "cyclone". My old engine took a crap. I'm seeing a difference in the oil filter housing. I notice that the housing on the cyclone does not have what I think is a water line? Am I able to swap that out with my Housing from my other engine ? Why are they different ? Here are some pics . The black filter is the cyclone motor and the blue filter is the usdsm 6bolt I guess you wana call it lol
Thanks.

WaRrIoRs16

The oil filter housing on the cyclone engine is designed for an external oil cooler. That's what those two large threaded holes are for, oil out and return. Your engine uses a water cooler for the oil. If your cyclone engine is a 6 bolt, you should be able to take your water cooled oil filter housing off and bolt it on to the cyclone engine.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Many of us put the external oil cooler housing on as an upgrade. A bit more work than the water cooled version.

FullPEAK

Thanks for the help guys. I started swapping out the parts. Anything else I should look out for on this engine? FYI the engine was included with ECU, complete harness/outer fuse box .. I'm assuming that I'm good to swap out my old harness and ecu correct? I saw on a past thread that there's something I may need to change with the abs? And also I will not be able to use dsmlink ? Is that true?

slugsgomoo

the water housing is garbage, you're better off putting together an air/oil cooler with the "90-style" housing.

FullPEAK

Hey guys so I'm going with your advice, & sticking with external air oil cooler. I did more reading up and yep that's the way to go. So question, Do you know if this is from a galant or 3000GT I cannot find anything close to it online. Yes it does say 4g63 but but I can't find anything to compare to be sure. I'd like to use it if possible. If not I'll go with the STM kit, open for other suggestions also.
Thanks

thomcasey

That looks like the factory GVR4 Intercooler

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The only oil cooler there is the small line attached to the big unit.

thomcasey

Those look like power steering cooler lines maybe? JDM style?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Agreed, I could have been clearer. Those are likely p/s cooler lines (which are still essentially an oil cooler).

transparentdsm

It's a top mount intercooler from a jdm RVR. There are 4 mounting points and the gasket around the core is for an air tight hood seal

Last edited:

thomcasey

Completely forgot about the top mount RVR intercoolers.

transparentdsm

im such a freaking nerd, i have to know everything i can involving a 4g63t.. my favorite part is actually when im wrong and someone can prove it. i love learning new things and having to start my research over.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts