The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NorCal Bay Area newbie

Chad989of2000

Isn't that always the case..."ran great for the test drive." I'd start with the usual no-start but crank procedures, figure out what's going on there. CEL or any other warnings from the previous owner regarding running condition of the car? These things tend to make awesome "project" cars, because there's always a project on them to work on. Congrats on the car and welcome to the .org.

kaifiji

yea definitely a project, only bought it for the snow season and daily drive,over heated according to previous owner,been sitting almost 2yrs now. planning on doing hg this coming week. still on the fence about mods. i come from a toyota JZ engine back ground but i suppose an engine is an engine and they all essentially work the same. just gotta put in a little time into research and see what mods would get me to 320-350ish to the wheels.

Oskarrr

i think this ones been on Craigslist for a while, on and off. he said it had a blown head gasket but it looks really straight! congrats!

jnava

Staff member
Welcome....

kaifiji

not a whole lot of tech/upgrade info on this forum,least from the reading through 1st few pages of the latest threads in most if not all the sub forums...or am i doing something wrong?

pot

Staff member
There's plenty of information residing on this board. I recommend you orient yourself to the following three sub-boards in this order:

How to and Info Archive
Technical Discussions

There is a sticky or see the second link within the "How to and Info Archive" located at the top of the page. This is a great place to start. It will take you to: vfaq Much of the information that will aid in your foundational understanding of the e39a will be found here. As the 1g Talon, Eclipse, and Laser (for the most part) share the same engine, steering & suspension, and fuel system etc., the vfaq will be a great resource for you to read subsequent pages on this board and enable you to build upon your knowledge base.

Lastly, I would encourage you to (after you have sifted through the vfaq) to read older posts starting on page 8 of the "How to and Info Archive." There you should gain an idea of what has historically worked and failed. Coincidentally there is also two links to Stage 1 and Stage 2 mods too.

Good luck on your research and welcome to the galantvr4 board. Thank You for joining and we look forward to your future contributions.

thomcasey

Both the VFAQ and this forum (and it's members) helped me track down my issue that was like yours. Ended up being a bad sensor ground for the Temp sensor. these motors don;t like to start when the ECU is being told it is -74 and dumps fuel.

thomcasey

It is the Green wire with the black strip. IT is a Sensor Ground. It grounds the Injectors, TPS. MAF and any other sensor to a ground (1 of two) in the ECU. I ended up tracing it from the ECU to a point that was still good, then running a new wire. Most likely there is an internal break between where it comes from the firewall to the sensor

kaifiji

coolio,thanks...sounds like what im going through coz when i crank it, it almost wants ti start but sputters out a metric sh*t ton of unburnt fuel. fixing to do hg 1st, bought the soft OE style HG and also the MLS,probably going with the OE style coz i dont wanna have to remove the block as well to get it resurfaced. for now, plans is to use it for a winter beater,and then maybe throw a couple paychecks at it and live off ramen soup for the duration. also just found out yesterday that previous owner took off all A/C relate stuff, least from the under the hood

thomcasey

Make sure you check your oil for gas in it. Might need a change. You can squirt some starting fluid in the Line that goes from the PCV valve to the Intake Manifold. Bet ti starts right up then, but will be rich as crazy.

thomcasey

Pins 24 and 17 on C-61 (The big plug of the three)

dsm10o0

Welcome. How much did you pick this up if you dont mind me asking? I was going to grab it but decided not to.

kaifiji

I paid $1800 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ...he was asking $1500 but when i got there, apparently there was another guy on his way to get it so naturally i upped my bid...now that i think of it,i fell deep into that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts