The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator belt installation

FullPEAK

Hey everyone,

I want to replace the belts on my vr4 .The alternator belt was broken when I purchased the car. I have no service manual, and everything else I've seen online is showing how to remove the alternator . Can some one please guide me in the correct direction? I have the new belt, I just need to know what pulley inside or out//tensioner they go on. I've see diagrams and I can't determin exactly which pulley it runs to. Thanks

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Right click and save it, and then print it out. Easy peasy.

Now here is to hoping that your alternator tensioner bolt isn't full of rust where it runs through the threaded collar.

If you are brave and have just enough access with the motor tilted down on the drive side (may require removing the engine mount and properly supporting that side of the motor from dropping too far down), is to remove the lower alternator pivot bolt (it's like 4 inches long) and insert it from the opposite side, exhaust side of the alternator!
When you have an alternator go dead (for heat related or time/corrosion issues or both), this will save you have to drop the motor down again to get this bolt out past the driver side frame rail. I think this is still an issue on a GVR4/Galant just as much as it is a Colt/Mirage/Summmit/Elantra/Accel of this era. Small time penalty to save you lots of time and headache later if you are roadside with minimal tooling!

Last edited:

FullPEAK

thanks a lot for the help man I appreciate it. I added some pics tell me what you think. Does it look like to you that the pulley is coming off the crank shaft? should it be off that much and that's why the belt isn't lining up?

TintedVR4

Yes, the crank pulley is way to far out. You should not be able to see the crank timing belt gear, are the four crank pulley bolts in? Is the main crank gear bolt in? I would also check to make sure the crank pulley isn't coming apart, there's a rubber ring between the middle and actual ribbed part on the pulley. Those rubber rings over time deteriorate and the crank pulley can separate.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
^^^

Yes, what he said.

You should have the crank pulley very near the timing cover and te find on the back of the pulley should not be visible, nor the cogs for the timing belt.

I am going to seriously suggest going over the timing belt and all timing belt components at the same time. If the engine was running like this, you will have to replace the timing belt, no way around it. These are interference type engines which means if the belt slips or degrades and snaps, it will bend valves in the engine due to piston top contact. Then you are in it deep sauce style. As much aggravation as this will be, it needs to be done for your peace of mind.

FullPEAK

Perfect, yea the car is a hot mess, from the motor, to missing components,to bad rigged wiring.A project car FOR SuRe. I knew I had some work ahead of myself. I'll take another look at it and see what I can do.Well thanks a lot guys for the help.i appreciate it!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts