The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can you identify this model?

Hi there
I found a really good deal on a galant turbo which i would like to work on but i can't quite get the model the closest i got is E39 1992 vr-4 but i have doubts.
Here are the pictures:

Most owners here don't know to the exact model either only a few informations. Things i know so far are it's a 1992 Gti version fuel injected 2 litr turbo.

bobdole

GTI is the model. I am sure they just added a turbo to the engine.

So Gti's dont come with factory turbo?
How can i identify turbo versions from the body? Other than stickers

I'd love to but these are the pictures the seller put on website.I'm gonna call him up see if i can get more pictures a vin number.
Other than front of the car and under the bonnet what other pictures would help?

fuel

Check under the rear to see if it is AWD. AWD are E39A while FWD are E33A.

GTi-16V suggests that it is an E33A FWD with 2.0L 4G63 DOHC N/A engine (at least this is the case for all other overseas GTi-16V models). The presence of USDM bumpers is peculiar though as no other overseas market received them (apart from the Australian VR-4) so I'm wondering if it is indeed a USDM VR-4 wearing a GTi-16V badge and missing the sideskirts?

*edit* just noticed it has cloth interior, km/h instrument cluster and non USDM glove box and underdash. Definitely not a VR-4.

Last edited:

bigandbad

The VIN would give the information...
If it is like JMBE39A... it's a EU/JDM version....
US models have a complete different VIN....

fuel

JDM is E-E39A-SRGM for the model code and just E39A-0026582 for the VIN/chassis number.

US were first to adopt the 17 digit VIN and most other markets followed after with Japan holding out the latest.

misterfixit

This is a gulf state issue 2wd GTI.

It will have a different vin layout altogether.
What plates are they on it? UAE?

Rich

Quoting Bokehlicious:
Hi there
I found a really good deal on a galant turbo which i would like to work on but i can't quite get the model the closest i got is E39 1992 vr-4 but i have doubts.
Here are the pictures:

Most owners here don't know to the exact model either only a few informations. Things i know so far are it's a 1992 Gti version fuel injected 2 litr turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned