The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New here! 1992 #26/1000 Chicago

ELBrandon

Hey guys I'm new here just got my VR4 this weeks. I bought it with a slight idle surge goes from 800-1000 then 600. The guy i bought it from said it was because of the after market cams. I instantly checked for a vaccum leak but didn't find any lose hoses etc. I'm coming from turbo charged K-series hondas but haven't played with them since 07. I unplugged the TPS and it idles perfect. In addition if I'm on it and I let off the throttle too soon it'll die sometimes. I'm just trying to look for a general area to start or even if i have to get it tuned find a place around north Chicago that isn't trash. This is the list of mods from his add.

*UPDATED*
6bolt 4g63 motor
Crower 272 cams
Crower springs ret
Arp head studs
Evo3 16g turbo
Evo 560 injectors
Walbaro fuel pump
DSM link v3
Punishment racing front mount
Short route piping
2g mas
2g exhaust mani
4 bolt lsd rear end
Gab adjustable struts
Mild port on head
Aftermarket clutch and flywheel good for 500hp
No A/C

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Welcome, congrats on getting a vr4. Post some photos of it. Check you IAC. It's the plug under throttle body. I have 272 cams and I sit at 900-920 all day

ELBrandon

Thanks for the advice. I updated my info to on the build. Its also throwing a barometer pressure sensor code. could that be because of the 2G MAF?

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
May be the 2g maf is wired wrong.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
It is possible that circuit only is damaged. I would check the wiring.

Does it have an adapter or spliced wiring?

ELBrandon

Looks spliced to me and I tried running it with the IAC unplugged didn't fix the idle only when i unplugged the TPS.

ApexHunter

Yep. No draw through MAF on the Hondas. You need to recirculate into the inlet pipe after the MAF.

ELBrandon

Can you guys point me in the right direction for that intake pipe then? Also what about the wiring diagram for the MAS to make sure it's right?

mjdarg

For the MAF wiring, the vfaq has a good guide. (http://www.vfaq.com/mods/2GMAF-1G.html). I can't seem to embed the link on my phone...The vfaq is a large database on mods for DSMs. It's getting old, but still has lots of great information on it. Definitely something you should have bookmarked.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Based on the picture, I would also check the wiring connections before the adapter as it looks like a lot of electrical tape there.

ELBrandon

Thansk and I checked all the electrical tape all the connections are good and have solder. Maybe the actual sensor its self has gone bad.

Last edited:

thomcasey

Quoting ELBrandon:
Can you guys point me in the right direction for that intake pipe then? Also what about the wiring diagram for the MAS to make sure it's right?

With having the MAF you have, you need something like THIS or like THIS with a smaller re-circulation input.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Work on you own car Doug! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

OldHairyBastard

The car likes to sit in the garage and not break anything. The neighbors don't miss the noise either. And no broken transmissions for over 5 years now.

Quoting iceman69510:
Work on you own car Doug! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts