The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car wont shift into gear. no slipping clutch

WesternMD_VR4

my car is hardly ever driven. but about 2 weeks ago i had it out on a saturday evening and I noticed that it just wouldnt go into gear. i press clutch in no problem still feels very stiff. it ended up getting to the point where i couldnt shift into a gear at all. i barely made it home by staying in 1st gear the whole way. as soon as I pulled into the garage. I pressed clutch in and I could pull it out of 1st into neutral no problem. but it would never go back. about a week later i tried to start it. it idled no problem and i could shift into any gear no problem. no slipping clutch. i backed out of driveway no problem. put it in 1st gear. drove up the street gave it a lil gas to make sure no slipping. everything was fine i shifted into 2nd gear.had a lil trouble but it shifted into 2nd. then it stopped. i tried to shift into 3rd and it wouldnt. i was forced to neutral roll my car back down the st. in front my house. when car is off. car will go into any gear with no problem.so i decided to turn off car. put it in 1st then start the car. well it just turns and felt like was trying to jerk forward a lil. i pulled out of 1st and put it back in neutral and then car started no problem. i just couldnt get it out of neutral.

Last edited:

fuel

air leak in the clutch hydraulic system due to worn seals in the master and/or slave cylinder and from time sitting. Often happens to brake master cylinders when sitting. As you're starting to use the car each action of the clutch pedal is 'pumping it up' with the air being dispersed to one spot etc. I would bet that pumping the pedal a few times before attempting to shift into gear would make it much better.

I would pull out the clutch master and slave and disassemble taking the pistons out and checking the bore and seal condition. Often cleaning them up and adding fresh fluid is enough to get them going again.

WesternMD_VR4

thanks fuel I had a friend telling me the same thing and we wanted to confirm it. the car been sitting for a while and probably was the reason. ive only done about 250 miles on her this year

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned