The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Increasing Power while keeping stock systems in place

Jvimpty

Is there a thread or VFAQ that explains what to do to increase power output on a completely factory VR4?

I have searched but came up fruitless, hoping for something with the basics to check to ensure engine performance is optimized or safely increased on stock components.

Jeremy

EMX5636

This is an oldie, but still holds true, aside from the tuning aspect. Skip the SAFC/piggybacks and go straight for DSMLink. You'll thank yourself now, and in the long run.

click

This has some good info as well. Again, dated, so skip the old school tuning, and spring for Link, but the rest is all still good general info.

click

fuel

You'll want to get rid of some stock items like the teeny weeny intercooler/piping/tb elbow and three bolt rear end. Thankfully you can pull an IC and some piping from an Evo and a four bolt LSD rear end from a 1G DSM.

A JDM (especially an Evolution) VR-4 is capable of nice power on stock items however I feel the USDM/AUDM models are let down from some key bottlenecks.

slugsgomoo

I'd highly recommend watching Tom's Turbo Garage series on youtube. He did modify his, but with the goal of keeping very stock appearing/functional, especially in the beginning. Worth a watch if that's what you're interested in.

Jvimpty

Quoting EMX5636:
This is an oldie, but still holds true, aside from the tuning aspect. Skip the SAFC/piggybacks and go straight for DSMLink. You'll thank yourself now, and in the long run.

click

This has some good info as well. Again, dated, so skip the old school tuning, and spring for Link, but the rest is all still good general info.

click

Thanks any pictures of the BCS process? Part numbers to order uprated i fuel pump?

Jeremy

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned