The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4WS dash light and electric pump noise at start up

Jvimpty

Anybody know what or why the light for 4WS would stay on after start up? It stays lit solid for 4-5 seconds with accompanying pump noise. Not on every start up, but several in recent weeks.

Jeremy

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Leak? Low fluid? Blockage in one of the lines?

Gtpdz

The only way to trigger the light on is low on ps fluid in the reservoir, if it's not low try look into the fluid level sensor circuit.

Jvimpty

Quoting Gtpdz:
The only way to trigger the light on is low on ps fluid in the reservoir, if it's not low try look into the fluid level sensor circuit.

Fluid level is good, and the wires on sensor seem to test fine. The light is only on at start up for a few seconds (not every start). When the light is on I hear what sounds like a pump running, then it shuts off with the light.

Jeremy

mjdarg

I know the ABS light has lots of different patterns that mean different things. You could check the service manual and see if there is a key that can explain what the light staying on means. I suggest having someone poke around the engine bay while the car is started to try and pinpoint the source.

fuel

Get someone to sit in the drivers seat while you pull the top off the ps fluid reservoir. The light should come on as the float drops right down and will go off when you push the float up. I think what is happening is when you are starting the car the reservoir is getting drained quickly (pumping noise) and then refills up when the ps fluid returns from the circuit. I would say it could need bleeding or just more fluid added.

Jvimpty

Thanks, it seems like this was the cause. Fluid drops at start up and then levels off. The hoses to the rear end seem to be damp, soft and leaky. Honestly the rubber lines look like they are tired and could explode at any minute.

I'm going to remove the rear wheel system when I swap the rear end to a LSD, any thing I should be aware of as I do this?

I plan to cap the lines/outlets that feed the rear system, and hope to keep the take off parts in case I need them at a later date.

Do I need to "fix" or lock the rear rack?

Jeremy

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You don't have to do anything to the rear rack if you don't want to.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts