The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4 bolt rear end (diff) - details?

Jvimpty

I've been told to seek and find a 4 bolt rear end (diff) for my 91 Galant VR4.

What are the details associated with this? .
Years/models the 4 bolt rear end can be found on?
Parts needed for swap?
Reason the 4 bolt is better than the 3-bolt? (I assume it is the axle bolt count folks are referencing.)

I'll comb the how to for some of the information.

Thanks

Jeremy

mitsuturbo

3 bolt axles snap like twigs inside the diff. 4 bolt axles are a bit larger and hold up to increased tq and hard launches where 3 bolts won't. Also, i believe all 4 bolts are LSD. You can find them in 92-94 DSMs.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Nope, not all 4 bolts are LSD. That is true for Eclipse versions, but not Talons or Laser models.

Jvimpty

From digging into How to here and elsewhere, it looks like a 4 bolt LSD will require the diff, axles and the hubs/cups to allow axles to bolt up.

I'll look for one in junkyards around here. Sounds like I should look for 92+ Eclipse and possibly a label on the Diff housing. Any other easy way to spot/confirm in the junk yard?

Other parts needed? I assume I'll delete 4WS when I do the swap. Other parts to grab at pick and pull to facilitate swap.

What is the newest eclipse I could search for the parts under?

Also, is there a way to tell if the current rear Diff in my 91 Galant (3-bolt) is LSD?

Jeremy

MellowVR4

I believe all galant vr4's with the stock 4WS and stock diff all were non LSD diffs.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes, US GVR4s were all non-LSD, 3-bolt.

You CAN keep 4WS, but it requires swapping internals from case to case.

No easier way to identify than look under the car, on 92-94 1g.

There should be some good posts in the How to or technical section.

Last edited:

thomcasey

Drivers side, door jam, under or above the striker pin, there will be (normally) An orange sticker indicating that it is LSD. They could have swapped it out at some point, but the sticker is a good start.

Jvimpty

So I located a 3 bolt LSD rear end. Does anyone know if the internals or function of this diff (looks like a viscous) is different or the same as the internals to 4 bolt?

I know they use different axles (cups and hubs), but wondering if for a non drag race stock hp set up this will be an improvement over stock, or if I should continue to dig for a 4bolt.

Jeremy

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts