The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trying to make a decision on an intercooler

Yohler

I've been reading on this topic for probably the last two weeks, and I really don't feel any closer to what I feel would be a reasonable decision. My main concern in choosing a core that is efficient and allows me to keep cold AC and not battle higher coolant temps than necessary instead of just fitting the most massive core I can.

I've come up with a few options:
Treadstone TR8
Quote:
7.8" X 22" X 3.5"
-Overall lenght 28"
-2.5" inlet/outlet
-750 CFM flow rate
-500 HP efficient
-Less than 2psi pressure drop at max flow

Treadstone TR1035
Quote:
Core Size, 10.5" X 22" X 3.5" (TR1035)
Overall lenght 30"
3" inlet/outlet
1000 CFM flow rate
666 HP efficient(TR1035)
less than 2 psi pressure drop, at max flow

Spearco 5-312 (on sale elsewhere)

I've also considered the ETS kit, but if I'm having piping made anyway I'd rather not spend the money. The Spearco 2-216 core is an option as well and I have a friend who is a welder and could do the tanks no problem if that's best. But again, you're getting up there in cost with the 2-216. I don't see this car ever making more than 450-500 HP and that may be generous. Admittedly I haven't fully decided how far I can or want to go with the car in regards to turbo or if it'll be a high boost corn fed car, but the current setup needs attention due to the sweet chain link fence post used as a pipe coupling that came with the car when I bought it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
If cost is a major consideration, you can consider Evo 8/9 cores. They are decently sized and require just a bit of in/out pipe manipulation to fit in a fairly stock condition. Bumper beam will need cutting.

I have this and kept a/c.

Yohler

Cost isn't a major issue, but I'm not out to buy the most expensive or biggest one just for the sake of. Would an Evo specific core be an advantage over one of these?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I'm no I/C guru. Just a suggestion since they seemed to be readily available in the past. I have not compared dimensions on it versus any of your proposals. For my car, I figured I was staying in the 300 hp range, and an Evo core should handle that just fine. You are talking more, so may be a genuine need to go with a different one.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Yohler:
The Spearco 2-216 core is an option as well and I have a friend who is a welder and could do the tanks no problem if that's best. But again, you're getting up there in cost with the 2-216.

I have an XSpower FMIC sitting in my shop right next to a 2-216 and i can honestly say they're damn near identical. My 2-216 has rear facing connections, so it's hard to see in there and I had to use a light and mirror. However, I currently have a customer's car in the shop right now and it also has a 2-216 on it that i can see directly into both sides. Internally it looks a hell of a lot like my cheap ebay core.

Having seen an ETS core up close and given it a good once over, i'd have to say that if i were to buy a new core, that's probably what i'd go with. It would cause a little more pressure drop, but i think the fin packs both ways look to be far superior as far as cooling capacity.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

I'm making 417hp and 418 TQ with the stock intercooler and stock turbo on my Evo 9 at 28psi. The IC is just fine for my current power, dd duties, spirited driving, and canyon driving in 100 temps but I am sure would heat soak if I were to track it.

ApexHunter

^ I think the E85 might play into that. It was a different story for me on 91. The stock intercooler just wasn't effective enough to keep up with the stock 8 turbo @ ~23 psi. Within 3-4 street pulls in 75* ambient (or 1-2 pulls in 85*) the IATs would be high enough to give a few counts of knock. I ditched the stocker for an ETS 3.5". Night and day difference and i haven't been able to heat soak it at the track. The ETS unit is significantly heavier which i wasn't thrilled about, but definitely worth the weight penalty to have the consistency.

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Having seen an ETS core up close and given it a good once over, i'd have to say that if i were to buy a new core, that's probably what i'd go with. It would cause a little more pressure drop, but i think the fin packs both ways look to be far superior as far as cooling capacity.

Yeah, impressive fin pack in their cores, and a bit more pressure drop than the straight through cores, but still pretty efficient and if you want to really drop IATs the straight throughs can't touch em.

Last edited:

Yohler

Thanks for all the well thought replies. I'm really intrigued by the option from Turbonetics and that's probably the direction I'll go with. If it doesn't work out I'll likely do something with a 2-216 Spearco core.

Yohler

The third link in the OP. Spearco/ Turbonetics the picture is different on that model of the same part number on their home site.
Click

Last edited:

hando_704

I've been on the search for an intercooler for the gvr4. I've been looking at ets and treadstone. I found this one last night on treadstone's site. This might be a good option, what do you guys think??

treadstone intercooler

jrtech

Scroll down
You cut out the inner half of steel bumper reinforcement for the core. The size of piping and routing dictates the rest of your problems. I went short route and cut the hell out of the core support and headlight bracket. Most wouldn't.

Edit: think there is a how to here. I cant be arsed to look for it.

Last edited:

jrtech

Internet wayback machine? I would hope the author Alpha Male has them somewhere. It's unfortunate bc I had it all apart a few weeks ago. But there are nicer installs than mine. Like all of them.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts