The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Emissions CEL

Aaron

Seems pretty common, but I have a p300 code in my 97 Eclipse after I did a 6 bolt swap.
I'm just wondering if I clear the code with Evoscan if it is ok to go to emissions right away, or if like a complete reset on the ecu(like unhooking the battery), do I need to drive it around for a while before going.
Thanks all

Aaron

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I can almost guarantee you that you will have to get your OBD monitors to reset, while driving the car normally, mutiple starts and trips, fuel between 1/4 and 3/4 full, before you can go and retest.

Most testing stations will be like the ones we have here, and certain model years will be allowed 0, 1, or 2 monitors to be unresolved (not tested as of entry for emission test) as a maximum before the test is allowed to take place.

Call the emissions place and find out, also find out if they would be willing to plug in a handheld scanner to confirm how many monitors are complete/incomplete before they charge you and perform the actual test.
If they want to charge you for that (find out your right/obligations in this regard via your counties online website for emissions testing/hotline to phone in to), get a handheld scanner capable of showing the monitor status.

P0300 is a random multiple misfire code, so it would be a fail to have that active as a prescan before they run the OBD test and/or sniffer combo.

tektic

I remember reading somewhere that the 2g ecu was programmed wrong and was always ready for emission tests... Or maybe that was the 95 specific? It was in one of feede's early threads before he wrote all those roms.

Fish

They will know that the computer hasn't run all the monitors yet and tell you to come back. You will have to complete an entire ob2 drive cycle for all the monitors to run before they will pass you on emissions. If you've got access to a scanner of some sort you can usually tell if the monitors have all completed and if the pass/fail.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Some scanners at the stations can tell if monitors are forced to "pass".

Wasn't there an issue erroneous codes of some sort with swapping 6-7 electronics/motors?
This scenario sounds pretty familiar for some reason.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts