The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where to buy a stock Radiator?

pot

Staff member
Such a seemingly common part for our cars is turning out to be significant pain in my ass. Over the past month I have tried three different parts retailers:

NAPA
Autozone
O'Reilly's

All three did not allow proper alignment/mounting of the stock radiator fan. I was curious if any forum members have any experience/guidance. Please share.

thomcasey

I bought my stocker from O'Reilly's, factory fan fit perfect.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting pot:
All three did not allow proper alignment/mounting of the stock radiator fan. I was curious if any forum members have any experience/guidance. Please share.

What is the fit issue? I had an aftermarket from another board member and I recall having some trouble with the lower fan mounts not lining up very well. I had to use some large washers to get the proper attachment.

It is too bad if real Koyo replacements are no longer available. I bought one year ago for 855 and it was very good quality and fit. Definitely better than some of the other aftermarket units I have seen.

pot

Staff member
That's just it Dave. Every unit I've purchased over the past month had an issue with the lower fan mount bolting up. I refuse to use washers as I want a completely stock fitting unit in every which way. I suspect that most of the parts retailers that I've encountered are using the same cheap Chinese mold for all the radiator products on the market.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have this item out of the car at the moment, I can possibly get a picture of the situation for you to see if it is the same. One other thing, I forgot that this radiator is actually metal tanks, so it could be a different situation from a plastic-molded unit.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I bought an Ebay 50mm radiator, twin core. No word on fitment other than the pins are slightly offset front/back? due to the core thickness, but should fit my C53A radiator support.
C53A radiator = E39A except for top hose location being offset and coolant overflow/outlet spout angled differently. Every radiator I found listed, had the same bolt locations for the fans too!
Click for the the thread about Koyo and other rads here on the board

233 is the number senonemous with Galant radiators.

C0233 gets you a Koyo, CU233 gets you a Spectra Premium or other knockoff products. Just about everythings in the basic spectrum is coming from China and is plastic tanks, with auto trans fluid fittings (hurray for leaks from this some day, just because). They all spec out with similar core thickness's, but Aluminum will get you the thickest core yet, should you need it. I got my aluminum radiator for a decent price, the Spectra Premium stuff you can find for $100 US on "Amazon.com", or in my case $214 on "Amazon.ca". Any guess's where the ".ca" parts come from .... oi!

So, take your pick, and have one to your door in no time flat!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts