The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car dies on warm idle

alik

Checked the ISC, it's fine (coils show proper resistance, and the motor is moving when the key is switched to on/off)
FIAV is blocked off per click
BISS is adjusted all the way down.

Rpms drop when the A/C is switched on, and the car is very hesitant to idle.
Idles fine if the rpms are above 1000.

I'm truly frustrated with this car. Thinking of jumping ship and heading over to I dunno where. Subie?
Urgh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

transparentdsm

does it start right back up or does it need to cool down a bit first ? have you looked at the ECU to see if anything had burnt up ?

OldHairyBastard

Sometimes the coils are bad and they spec out to be good. My guess is that you have a lightened flywheel and this won't help with idle. Have you tried adjusting your idle air screw (BISS) to see if that can hold your idle better? All the way down might not be the best.

Last edited:

alik

Quoting transparentdsm:
does it start right back up or does it need to cool down a bit first ? have you looked at the ECU to see if anything had burnt up ?

Starts right up. Dunno how to tell if anything is burned up on the ECU

alik

Quoting OldHairyBastard:
Sometimes the coils are bad and they spec out to be good. My guess is that you have a lightened flywheel and this won't help with idle. Have you tried adjusting your idle air screw (BISS) to see if that can hold your idle better? All the way down might not be the best.

Yes, I have. If the idle is set to above 1k,everything is fine .
BTW, I don't think my flywheel is off a light variety. Methinks stock

OldHairyBastard

I would leave the idle above the 1K then. That's not a bad idle. Why do you want it under 1K for? Nothing is wrong with that. The AC should kick the RPM's up just a bit if the solenoid on your TB still works and the wiring is in place.

Last edited:

strokin4dr

Are you adjusting the biss according to procedure? An do you have dsmlink on the car to see what's really happening?

alik

Quoting strokin4dr:
Are you adjusting the biss according to procedure? An do you have dsmlink on the car to see what's really happening?

Yes, and no to dsmlink

tyeler18

The Isc can test in spec but be slow to respond to changes. The only way to truly know is to log Isc position.

strokin4dr

I had similar idle issues. The "fuel cut offset" feature in dsmlink solved the problem. I was chasing my tail thinking it was a bad isc or wiring for a while.
My car has comp 272s and a lightweight flywheel and a 900 rpm idle. The issue was annoying enough that the car a chore to drive. Can't recommend dsmlink enough.
Perfect idle with no stalling or drop in rpms anymore.
Not sure how to go about solving a similar issue without this feature. Good luck with it.

Quoting alik:
Quoting strokin4dr:

Yes, and no to dsmlink

GSTwithPSI

Quoting strokin4dr:
I had similar idle issues. The "fuel cut offset" feature in dsmlink solved the problem.

Can you elaborate on the adjustment you made to this feature?

strokin4dr

I increased this offset a bit at a time. Ended up at 90 I believe. Was a night and day difference to how the car performed previously.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts