The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner of 853/2000

bvolk

Hey there!

I'm picking up #853/2000 tomorrow. She's been in a bit of an accident but no damage beyond a fender and door panels - I have already sourced local replacements.

There is a laundry list of updates/repairs she needs. If anyone has any tips or sources of parts for this let me know!

Most likely needs:
All suspension bushings & new suspension. Car feels really sloppy over bumps/through turns. Locally I have found an evo VIII suspension already retrofit on the car or I could go with full coilovers from DGR racing (DGR is a solid brand, I run them on my BMW). Does anyone know if there is a bushing kit I can buy online for the car?

Brakes. Pads & rotors. Any good sources for these? I figure I'd just get OEM style off rockauto if they are available.

Possibly exhaust/turbo manifold. I've heard they are prone to cracking and under load I do smell a bit of exhaust in the cabin. I'm assuming this is the most likely culprit. Any suggestions on an aftermarket one that would work with the stock turbo are appreciated.

Clutch. It's a bit slippy at the moment and I can feel a lot of vibration in the clutch pedal at higher RPM's - I'm assuming the throwout bearing is not aligned but I could be wrong (this is my first mitsubishi). Any tips here are greatly appreciated as far as what clutch to go with, how to replace it, any other items I may want to replace at the same time (flywheel?).

Altogether the car is in pretty great shape. Engine has 30k original miles on it and has had all belts replaced recently.

Is there anything else you would suggest I replace on a chassis approaching 100k?

Thanks!

OldHairyBastard

"I could go with full coilovers from DGR racing (DGR is a solid brand, I run them on my BMW). Does anyone know if there is a bushing kit I can buy online for the car?"

If your used to a coil over I would go with that setup. There are several bushing kits out there and some people sell them here on the board. Just put a post in the parts wanted to buy section.

"Brakes. Pads & rotors. Any good sources for these? I figure I'd just get OEM style off rockauto if they are available."

I would go with a power stop set of rotors or upgrade to bigger if you would like. There are several write ups on bigger brake conversions.

"Possibly exhaust/turbo manifold. I've heard they are prone to cracking and under load I do smell a bit of exhaust in the cabin. I'm assuming this is the most likely culprit. Any suggestions on an aftermarket one that would work with the stock turbo are appreciated."

Check out what is leaking first. There are too many selections to list for replacement depending on what setup you decide on running. Just find the leak first.

"Clutch. It's a bit slippy at the moment and I can feel a lot of vibration in the clutch pedal at higher RPM's - I'm assuming the throwout bearing is not aligned but I could be wrong (this is my first mitsubishi). Any tips here are greatly appreciated as far as what clutch to go with, how to replace it, any other items I may want to replace at the same time (flywheel?)."

If you want a clutch that will last and you won't have to replace multiple times go with the Quartermaster twin disk and you won't have any issues. You just have to get used to the engagement to be able to drive it smooth. It replaces from the flywheel all the way to the ground down fork and throw out bearing.

"Altogether the car is in pretty great shape. Engine has 30k original miles on it and has had all belts replaced recently."

At least all that work has been done but still double check it just to make sure.

"Is there anything else you would suggest I replace on a chassis approaching 100k?"

Motor mounts, wheel bearings, gas tank filler neck(if original), transmission/t-case/differential seals, rebuild and balance the drive shaft(replace u-joints too) and replace the bushings that go between the drive shaft mounts and the vehicle.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts