The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

R12 or R134a?

4g6Tree

My VR4's AC is in need of a recharge. The previous owner took good care of it and I'm not sure if he converted the AC to R134a. Is there a way to tell if he did?

strokin4dr

You can look to see if it has R134A adapter fittings or a retrofit sticker. Even if it doesn't have those things, it could still be retrofitted. Take it to a shop that has a refrigerant tester to see what's really in the system.

tyeler18

Regardless of what you have in there, unless you want to pay $150+ (average cost in my area for the amount a galant takes) for the R12 alone, not including evac and recharge, you'll probably want to have it converted anyways if it needs filled. Just make sure you have a reputable shop so it. The condenser, compressor and seals are both PAG oil compatible and R134a compatible (lots of domestics of the same era are not). 134a takes roughly 3/4 the charge of R12 to cool properly, so if a shop looks up R12 and fills it with 134a to that spec it's going to cause issues being overfull just an FYI. (I'm an AC tech in Arizona)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts