The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Charcoal canister removal

Yohler

I am planning out what I need to do to install one of the JMFab battery trays in the car and it mentions the removal of the charcoal canister in the writeup on this site. No big deal, because I'd been eyeing it up while redoing the brake lines anyhow. my question is, what is the proper way of dealing with the vent line from the gas tank? Capping it off is obviously a bad idea and leaving it to vent by my battery seems just as bad. So what is the best and safest way of dealing with this? Trim the line back under the car?

MellowVR4

You probably can just hook it up to a hose and run the hose down near the sub frame aiming down to the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Yohler

That might not be a bad idea eventually. As of now the car has a cutout under the car just before the stock tail section. That part of the exhaust isn't long for this world, but still a consideration.

G

Staff member
You can cap it off if you can find a vented gas cap.

Yohler

That's not a bad idea. It would have to be an old cap, correct? Aren't the newer vented caps only inward?

marvinmadman

Silly question probably, but does this in anyway lock a vacuum inside the tank? Or is that present no matter what? Mine has a huge suction whenever I open the cap. My buddies with their new Coyote mustangs just remove the purge setup and install a mini K&N filter right on top the tank, even with e98 in it lol. No issues at all.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Not sure, I have not researched it yet but need to. A huge suction means your charcoal canister is toast.

Yohler

Wouldn't having suction be a sign of a bad gas cap? Maybe I've been reading it wrong, but I was under the impression excess pressure was purged into the charcoal canister and then into the intake manifold (providing the vacuum lines are hooked up) and the gas cap was an inward one way check valve itself?

marvinmadman

I've never really looked into it either. No charcoal canister under my hood. Just the little plastic nipple at the end of the line.

Yohler

Thanks for the link. I agree with everything written. I got into this issue by needing a safe place for the battery, but putting it in the trunk would require an outside kill switch because my local track uses NHRA tech. So the best place under the hood seems to be where the charcoal can is. I guess I'll just find a spot to vent it under the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

swe_gvr4_1991

When the fuel in the tank warms up during a running engine the vapors expand. This is what the charcoal canister takes care of. The ECU opens/closes a solenoid that leads those vapors into the intake tract so they get burned.
If you plug the vapor line you will have a huge build-up pressure in the tank. This can be heard as a whooshing sound when you open the gas cap. Not good.
Most of us just leave the line vented to atmosphere. Or simply put a small filter on it. I have ran mine like this for over ten yours now. I would put a piece of hose on it and route it away from the battery. My battery is in the trunk so I don't need to.
I have never gotten any gas fume smell in the car. So do, some don't.

marvinmadman

Cap appears to be a vacuum inlet, so mine must be damaged or stuck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts