The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1918/2000

sabastaniel

So, my family is are the 2nd owners of this galant, I was just a kid when we purchased it. It has been promised to me basically my entire life, and it looks like I will finally be getting the title at the end of the year.

Some years ago, a nice guy from this forum came by my parents house and rebuilt the engine, I had been using the car, and it broke down. The mechanic I took it to (big mistake) disassembled the whole engine and was in way over his head, so I returned the car back to Washington on a trailer with the engine in the trunk. The dude who got the car back on the road really did us a solid. I haven't gotten a hold of him but I hope he sees this and recognizes the car, I believe his name was Jon but its been a long time. If you read this, I would love to pick your brain of any specific things you can remember.

Anyways, some years went by and someone hit the car while my mom was driving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif damaging the driver side bumper, fender and driver door panels. This link is an album of pictures of the damage in more detail - click

Over the next few years, I would like to get this car built but first I am just introducing myself and fishing for opinions and advice. I want to fix this body damage first, then probably repaint to the stock green, detail everything, and most importantly thoroughly research before I commit to any modifications. I really don't want to be that guy who molests a classic like this with bad decisions. Money is pretty tight this year, so I am in no rush.

This car will be safe inside our garage for the rest of its life, as I have explained to the nearly 50 people who have offered to buy it.

My interest in learning to fix this beast up myself was inspired by one of my buddies who has a complete personal shop. He showed me the Tom's turbo garage build, and the jafromobile playlists on youtube, both have inspired me to learn as much as I can. I have started to look through the forum, but it's a beast and I might need more guidance than I want to admit.

Anyways, if anyone has some spare body parts I would love to get in touch, money is a bit tight this month as I am transitioning into a new job, so it might be awhile but I definitely would like to get a plan in the works.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Welcome aboard. You have the correct approach. Gathering info from Jafro and Tom, as well as joining here are all good starts. You have many other owners in the PNW a well, and maybe a few specialty shops that know the car.

Taking your time and assessing condition and doing it right is also good.

Read, read, and read, then ask questions.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
It took me years to want to formally post much here. This is not because of any serious unfriendliness or anything on the part of the board and members, but moreso the fact that the hoard of systems that cause issues (and the repair processes that people have had to undertake during extended ownership), meant that I had a whole lot of reading. I don't own a Galant, but it's smaller brother the Colt/Mirage. All the same stuff, just with fewer things to go wrong. I tended to overthink many things.

To sum up my point, don't get too into certain aspects of detail. Jafro is awesome, not just because he detailed everything he could from nearly every angle possible, but because he cares about what he is jumping into. So, with that in mind, choose what you NEED to care about very carefully. You do not need to rethink the wheel, because it will take you into circles for a very long time. Simple path with many items, and life will be like it is for everyone else. Scrutinize the chassis rebuild and paint most carefully, because it is something you do not want to have to return to, ever. Engines and drivetrain should be scrutinized but not overdone.

There is a big parts list of numbers listed here, likely in the archive section and it could prove very useful if the search button proves to be a little daunting.

You and your family seem to be on the same page with regards to keeping the car alive, so you are definitely in the right place for advice and help.

If we don't see you post much, we know you are reading!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned