The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fuel problem

kkmcgregor

So driving yesterday on the highway my car suddenly "dies"((rpm dropped to 0 and then came back up)). At the same time I heard a clicking under the passanger side dash. I believe it's the MFI/MPI but I was wondering, what if my fuel pump is going out or filter is clogged could it cause these issues and the mfi/mpi to click?

GSTwithPSI

Classic sign of the ECU taking a sh*t. Pull the ECU and open the case. Look for burned drivers, and leaking capacitors. Look at this thread, as well as the ones linked in the very last post: click

marvinmadman

Well good thing it takes about 2 minutes to pull again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

marvinmadman

I had a similar occurrence like this. CAS backed out and killed the car. It was intermittent for a few minutes before.

Gtpdz

Sometimes a ECU may look good but actually have some breaks in the circuit... send it in to ECMLink and have them take a look at... that's how I fixed my ISC driver, they look fine from the outside but those small breaks can only be found out with proper testing procedures..

kkmcgregor

Ok put it back in and now it won't start at all. I have to assume it's a loose wire since all of this started after I pulled it the first time. But I feel so overwhelmed with all the wires and I don't know where to start.

GSTwithPSI

If you suspect it's a fuel problem, start by jumping the fuel pump test connector to 12v. That will basically test the wiring, relay, and fuel pump.

107231-0-0-0.jpg

presterone

I went through this same experience and it was my ECU. When you were messing around with the ecu I bet it moved something on the board. A lightly cracked solder joint or something could cause this. You have to dig through a wiring diagram to find out if the ECU is providing ground to the MPI relay. I forget which pin it is but this is what led me to replacing the ECU.

CutlassJim

Another thing I've seen cause this is if you don't have a good connection for the grounds that go under one of the ECU bolts. Either left them hanging or the bolt isn't tight.

kkmcgregor

Is there a step by step on how to do this? My next step is checking my fuses for mpi, solder some sketchy splices by ecu, and testing mpi. Was also gonna pull a plug and test spark.

kkmcgregor

I just thought about it and realized the car is running a walboro 255 and hasn't been rewired do you think I can fix the problem by just doing the rewire?

Nebraska

Generally you can get by without the rewire. Have you tried re-seating the connections into the ECU? Intermittent problems like that are usually a connection issue.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts