The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Got Rust?

JondoeVR4

Hey all...I am on the fence about selling my Galant, simply due to rust.

I have lived in California all my adult life so I have no idea how to properly deal with it. Any suggestions?

Also, does rust in this location compromise the structural integrity in any way? Thank you..

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Bottom line, it's going to be a difficult, time consuming, and costly repair that will take special tools and knowledge. You're going to need to fabricate panels, weld, cut, paint, etc...And you need the tools and knowledge to do all of the above.

As far as structural integrity, that's not exactly part of the unibody support structure, but it's not helping the structural integrity of the car overall either. I'd highly recommend fixing it before seriously starting to use the car for any sort of driving.

Check out this thread: click

Scroll down to my post where I link to 3 threads. Your rust repair will fall in between "Bobdole's rust repair" thread and the "MAJOR rust repair" thread.

The last thing to consider is the cost of a repair like this. Even doing it yourself, you'll be into the job $500-$1,000 bucks before you know it.

Edit: I reference using a small Campbell Hausfeld 110v gasless MIG welder to do repairs in my post. Although this worked fine on 1837 for a very small repair, it was complete sh*t for the larger repair I had to do on 820. In short, you'll need a legit MIG/TIG welder, and someone who knows how to use it for a job like yours.

Last edited:

JondoeVR4

Thanks for the response, Ive looked at the repairs youve done and it looks like something I could manage with some practice..

But I dont have the time or space so it looks like I'll be parting it out...It was a nice run.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts