The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

i like it nice and lubed

Spyke169

Quoting zeek13:
hey guys I'm curious to know what oil y'all run

Here is a thread that has a lot of good information on different oils click

MellowVR4

That's the 5w40 synthetic rotella T6?

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
Brad Penn

Disrupter

Quoting zeek13:
thanks for the input fellas guess I'm going to run valvoline vr1 20w 50

only reason people run rotella t6 is its proven to have good ingredients "check blackstone lab reports", proven to work by many different platforms (I personally use it in everything, and a lot of other platforms live by it), and it is relatively cheap (check slickdeals for some sick coupons that pop up every so often). Only oils I stay away from after reading blackstone lab reports is mobile 1 10w40 (may have changed their formula since then) and Royal purple, which shear on lose viscosity on turbo cars from heat. This doesnt apply to all their line-ups.

GEDengineering

Valvoline VR-1 20w-50 it is cheap and has high additives that help protect all the bearing surfaces in the engine and turbocharger. FP wrote a very good test article about the different types of oils and how ones without additives (most synthetic oils) will destroy journal/thrust bearings in turbochargers. The higher the phosphorus and zinc content in the oil the better, those soft metals are like little cushions and carry load very well.

Regards,
Glenn

tektic

cheapest place I see VR1 online is just under $8 a qt. by the case. That doesn't seem much if any cheaper than the other oils mentioned.

Edit: I think i was looking at the synthetic stuff.

Why do you guys all want to use such heavy oil?
whats wrong with 10-w30?

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

Knechts auto parts sells the vr1 20-50 for 3.99 a quart.

tektic

"Knechts auto parts sells the vr1 20-50 for 3.99 a quart. "

Lucky for you. In NY I only have Pepboys, advance and auto zone... none of witch list it online. I can get VR1 SAE 10W-30 on amazon, 12 Quarts for $72.46 after tax with free shipping. That's $6.05 a quart. I guess thats reasonable. I might just do that for my next oil change. Then again Brad Penn 10W-30 lists on amazon at $74.88 for 12 Quarts.

Last edited:

ApexHunter

After many great years with RT6 i had to switch after i started using the car for HPDE, as it was shearing down too much at the track. As oil temp increases, oil pressure decreases proportionally. With the RT6 i had about 20psi at idle, street driving temps around 180F, but coming in after 20 minutes on track with temps ~ >220F i'm closer to 5-6 psi @ idle. High Temp High Shear rating on the RT6 is about a 3.7 IIRC.

I have since switched to M1 15w50 which is 4.5, still has reasonable Zinc/Phos and is cheap...at the track I'm only seeing a small improvement in shear over the RT6 (almost 7-9 psi @ idle @ ~220F). HTHS can vary widely between oils even at the same viscosity rating. For comparison, Redline 15w50 is rated at 5.8 HTHS. RL is super shear stable, and and performs much better both in the lab and in the real world. Ultimately my car is still a street car so it's been tough to justify switching to RL at double the cost.

OP: usually when shopping oils i'm looking at manufacturer specs and virgin oil analysis and used oil analysis reports and talking to people. Specifically looking at HTHS, zinc/phosphorous/moly content, viscosity @ 100*C, detergents like boron, calcium, magnesium.

diambo4life

Quoting tektic:
"Knechts auto parts sells the vr1 20-50 for 3.99 a quart. "

Lucky for you. In NY I only have Pepboys, advance and auto zone... none of witch list it online. I can get VR1 SAE 10W-30 on amazon, 12 Quarts for $72.46 after tax with free shipping. That's $6.05 a quart. I guess thats reasonable. I might just do that for my next oil change. Then again Brad Penn 10W-30 lists on amazon at $74.88 for 12 Quarts.

You can order it from Pepboys. They carry it. If you time when they are running certain online specials that include oil, you can get it for cheap if you buy in bulk.

ApexHunter

Update:
M1 15w50 does not hold up as well as I had hoped. It sheared down to something more like a 5w20 after one track day and 1 dyno tuning session, along with fairly conservative street miles. For what it's worth we started from scratch on that tune, so lots of pulls at varying ramp rates.

I'm going to send in another sample shortly with last Saturday's track day at CVR, and only about 400 Street miles to see what it looks like. That will determine if I can continue using this oil, or if I finally need to start using RL 15w50 that i know will be more shear stable, but at almost triple the cost. I've been getting Mobil 1 15 w50 from Walmart for

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts