The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

axle seal

kkmcgregor

So on a scale from 1 to 10 how hard is it to replace the the front drivers axle seal?
FYI I have very little experience with these thkngthings.

caanglin

Not that hard. Just time consuming.
Jack car up take cotter pin out.
Put car back down brake axle nut loose. (32mm ?)
Jack the car up again... Take the wheel off.
Loosen the axle nut but leave a couple threads on. Pull on the axle to brake it loose.
Take the two bolts out of the strut. Move to the side.
Axle should come out. One side does have a axle hanger/bearing, don't remember which.

MellowVR4

It makes it some what easier to remove the transfer case to pound the seal in nice and even, But It could be done with out it I'm thinking. But from 1-10 I rate this job a 3-4 if you have the right tools.

badams

Quoting caanglin:
One side does have a axle hanger/bearing, don't remember which.

It's the driver side.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts