The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Headlight replacement options

LaughingGas

I have a 1992 Galant VR4, #636/1000 that I have owned since 1993. A lot of upgrades have been done on the engine and suspension. It is 250hp at the wheels via dyno. with less than 2K miles since the rebuild/etc. The builders of the upgrades say it is capable of much more power via turning up the boost and remapping the ECU. I purposely had the tuner keep it well under capability for reliability reasons.

I am not enamored with the headlights and I live in deer country. What are my options for headlight upgrades/or better bulbs (?) to provide greater/longer penetration into the night? I drove the car for years and then the timing belt went and that was the end of the original engine. Sat for some years and then we slowly built it to what it is today. I originally bought the car because of the way it drove, not the way it looks. I like that it is a sleeper but very fast. It is simply the best car I have ever driven in inclement weather especially in the snow and I have lived in snow country for 40 years and driven lots of 4 wheel drive systems including Audi S4. Nothing beat the snow driving capabilities of the VR4.

But I want to be able to see better at night. Suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Michael

thomcasey

I have HID's in my GVR4. I have them aimed lower than they should be to avoid blinding oncoming cars, but they shine better that the best silverstars.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have PIAA bulbs in one of mine. Haven't driven it in years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif but I lived in the country and the lights worked well for me.

turbowop

Thom, HIDs in halogen housings are far worse at outputting light than actual halogen bulbs. They may seem brighter right in front of your bumper, but they don't cast the light as far.

I honestly think the GVR4 stock headlights are some of the best halogens I've ever used. Especially with the high beams on. During the several years I used 503 for ski duty I made hundreds of trips up into the mountains and the lights lit up lots of deer, elk, etc. I never thought they needed an upgrade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Toshiba makes a real nice high output bulb you would like. Forgot the part #, i'd have to look it up.

LaughingGas

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I drove the car from early 1993 through 2001 when the timing belt failed and scrambled the engine. But in those years I was driving it I thought the lights were fine. I went out today and looked at them and the left headlight was loose and so it was pointing downward. After some evaluation I noticed the nut in the back of the center mount was loose so I tightened it up. Tonight I will adjust the lights for a longer range and see if that is OK. During the rebuild things may have gotten out of adjustment. The process went on and on (and I got tired of writing checks... especially when my wife pointed out the total) so for a while I just stopped it and let it sit (in a warehouse). Then I got courage up again to get it finished and now it is running again just fine.

I am brand new to this forum and appreciate the help. I am not sure what else I will need help on but you never know. This car was gone through very thoroughly from drivetrain to suspension to brakes. Likely I will take it to Sears Point to the Mitsubishi tuners that are there and dial in a few more hp. I own a very fast Porsche and have raced it up to 180mph (Silver State Classic Open Road Race) so I like speed and know how to drive fast. This VR4 is almost just as much fun as the Porsche as a driving car on dry pavement and WAY better on the snow! Gee, if there is 1mm of snow on the road the Porsche is a disaster!

Anyway, thank you for your input.

badams

Quoting G:
Toshiba makes a real nice high output bulb you would like. Forgot the part #, i'd have to look it up.

nla

Spyke169

9012 bulb, still 55w power consumption, greater lumins output. I have used all sorts of bulbs expensive bulbs, including trying 9005 in the 9006 place. The 9012 is by far the best bulb I have ever used. I highly recommend it.

click

Last edited:

mjdarg

Spkye,

With those bulbs, do you ever have issues with glare onto oncoming traffic since the 9012 lacks the black tip coating that is on the 9006?

Spyke169

That was a concern on mine. I removed the HID bulbs that were in the car when I bought it. Obviously this reduced the glare huge. When aiming the headlights I didn't notice much glare. I have ask a couple friends who I have driven behind if they noticed glare in the rear view or side view mirrors. They have said they didn't appear to then any different than other cars behind then. But that was one of my concerns. I have never had oncoming traffic flash their highbeams at me like with the HID bulbs.

mitsuturbo

I pulled the plastic inserts out of the low beam connectors and trimmed the tab on some new high beam bulbs and put them in the low beam housing. It's brighter, like more modern cars, but the light cutoff pattern still doesn't blind opposing traffic.

mitsuturbo

I guess this is what i did. Used the 9005 (high beam) in place of the 9006 (low beam) bulb. Works well for me.

Quoting Spyke169:
9012 bulb, still 55w power consumption, greater lumins output. I have used all sorts of bulbs expensive bulbs, including trying 9005 in the 9006 place. The 9012 is by far the best bulb I have ever used. I highly recommend it.

click

blacksheep

Quoting iceman69510:
I have PIAA bulbs in one of mine. Haven't driven it in years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif but I lived in the country and the lights worked well for me.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Screw you KC, you know I got lots of liabilities (responsibilities). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Spyke169

Advantage of using the 9012 bulb over the 9005 bulb is:
9005 bulb: Wattage: 65, Lumens: 1700
9012 bulb: Wattage: 55, Lumens: 1870
So you are still using a 55W bulb in the low beam circuit, but achieving a greater light output.

Below are some pictures I snapped while sitting in the car at my parking slab. Keep in mind the car is parked facing a bit uphill, so the beam where is hits the fence is higher than it would normally be while driving, but still gives an idea of any glare, or illumination, outside where the main concentration of light is.

The first is the low beam 9012 low beams. Second is with the highbeams on. With my yellow high beams it is easy to distinguish the two beam patterns

mjdarg

Just installed some 9011 bulbs in place of the original 9005. Got them from Amazon here. These are Philips bulbs even though they are sold as Wagner. Lots of other people have also been saying this on other forums.

Pictures don't show the difference too well, but it's definitely much brighter with more reach than the old 9005. I trimmed one of the tabs a bit too much, so it's slightly loose in the socket, but I don't notice any flickering or movement while driving over bumps. Would definitely recommend to those who drive back/country roads late at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

EMX5636

I'm part of the "HID bulbs in EDM/JDM housings" crew. Light output is awesome, and I live in the freaking woods. I also have 3k HID's in my fogs, and with the two on, they are brighter than the high beams. I don't have any issues with people flashing me on a daily basis, but I have both the low beams, and the fogs aimed a tad low. Still throws light better than the stock USDM lights, and the JDM lights with H4 bulbs. Probably the only time I'll disagree with Wop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts