The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

gasketing question

kkmcgregor

So I'm going to regasket everything that involves airflow essentially. (Bov flange, throttle body and shaft seals, intake mani, exhaust mani, turbo gasket, and wastegate flange)
I've been reading and it seems some of these can be just rtv.
So question is can I use rtv for throttle body, bov, and ??? Also what rtv should I use.
P.S. reason for this is everything leaks.

tektic

No one here will tell you RTV is a good idea where a gasket use to go. With that said you can do what you want, but know that wasn't how it was engineered.

jeverts

RTV is a cancer in my opinion. The only place that it should be used is on an oil pan. Gaskets are cheap and much cleaner.

MellowVR4

I mean RTV is good to cover up some of the imperfections that you make by scraping the old gasket material off with a razor. Not every one has a rotary tool with those roloc pads to sand most of that junk off..

FlyingEagle

Staff member
OEM gaskets from JNZ or RTMRacing. Pick your side of the border.
Two best suppliers for the Mitsubishi breed of parts. Back bone of the communities on either side of the border really.

Most OEM gaskets are update and contain where applicable, the little silicone rings imbedded on their top and or back facing surfaces, to make up for surface irregularities.

The BOV and IC-to-turbo-inlet gaskets are now metal single layer crush style. If there are non-metallic versions still in stock somewhere, pick that if you have surface issues that can't readily be corrected, but even then a file or prep disc treatment are in order.

As Jeverts stated, save RTV for oil pans or any application where RTV or anerobic sealers are called for (transmission case halves, differential covers, transfer cases, etc etc).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts