The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant VR4 Gates Racing Accessory Belts

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Looking to replace all three accessory belts on my engine.

Timing belt is new OEM.

My motor is a 6 bolt, GVR4 import with a C53A AC compressor (uses same as, GVR4 tensioner assembly circa 91.06.1-92.05.3).

Found the Gates Racing belts (Blue top surface) in the following flavors:

A/C - AcDelco 4K360 installed now
K040360RB (C53A length) E.L. = 917 mm
K040365RB (GVR4 length) E.L. = 928 mm

ALTERNATOR
K040390RB E.L. = 993mm

Non-Racing series Not Blue top
POWER STEERING
9265 AUTO V-BELT XL E.L. = 673mm

GVR4 specification for belts per ASA:
AC to CK = MB439336 = 920mm effective length 4PK920
ALT to WP to CK = MD187458 = 995mm effective length
PS to WP = MD178430 = 660mm effective length

Have any of you installed these belts and if so, how are they doing so far?

My motor will see mainly street use but I like the idea of a belt designed for a higher output engine.

I can go with OEM belts too.

Gates lists the belts as remaining stock only, and I have leads at my fingertips currently.

As a side note, what belt tension checking tools are people using currently?

I'd like to invest in one or two for work and home use but haven't seen a belt tool used in a long time ... back to the V belt style days. Not sure what tensions are mandated on these little style belts, as I go by feel/stretch distance and ear (time to check tension and pulleys on higher mileage systems).

Here's a few tensioner checkers and the belt/pulley wear indicator, I found online:

Gates:
Wear indicator tool - Click me
Tension tester 100-320LB Gates 91132 Belt Tension Tester
Tension tester #2 Auto and LD 50-150LB Gates 91107 Belt Tension Tester
Tension tester #3 30-150LB Carbon Drive Gates Tension Gauge

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Also found it interesting that there is an OEM heavy duty replacement utilizing Kevlar, which is designed for the Evo9 but it fully 4g63 backwards compatible:

Per RTMRacing:
Click

I would have gladly paid $20 more to get the uprated version.
I'm running OEM out of the bag, so I'm not worried but I don't find out about new things until much later.

raptorWagon

I just simply see no point to a kevlar belt, it is a consumable after all. Regardless of how fancy and "updated" it may be, it will still be replaced every 60k miles.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Got the belts and they look good. Came with a pair of Gates Racing stickers for effect. Maybe this will help my car go like a banshee and not sound like one!

I'll update when it is warm enough to fart around with this stuff in the garage.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned