The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Vibration under acceleration

turboneon

Well i finally got the oil leaks taking care of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif got new struts and hr springs coming i figured that be a great place to start with the vibration! I searched to try to find something but no luck, anyone have any input on to what the vibration could be? i figured the struts are factory because i can push on the fenders and it floats like a boat haha. Any input would be great guys and gals. Have to say i have loved every second on working on this car!

Thanks!

Jake

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Describe the vibration and the conditions when you feel it.

turboneon

shaking when boost comes on. seems to go away at higher speeds. it pretty noticeable as my passangers are saying, "whats that shaking" so i guess its a shaking/ vibration. Sorry its sort of hard to describe honestly, hope this helps.

Fish

Under light load or coasting it doesn't shake, just under heavy throttle. Is that correct?

Sounds like u joints or cv axles to me

turboneon

minimal under light driving but its there nothing like under acceleration. Like i said i bet these are the factory struts with 153k on the clock so once i get that changed i hope it will clear it up. plus im obviously going to wait to align then. Parts should be here in the next week or so. Only one thing was back ordered.

turbowop

Front axles. I went thru this a few years ago on 503. Search my username for the thread to see if your symptoms are similar.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Make sure your intermediate shaft is tight to the block.

Also, are all your engine mounts/roll stoppers in good condition?

turboneon

after shaking the drive shaft im almost positive that my vibration is coming from my intermediate carrier bearing! Going to take it out and have a local ds shop hopefully change out everything. i ordered two carrier bearings just wondering if i should order the updated recall yoke kits washers and nuts or assume that my ds shop will have that stuff or at least can get it. any input would be great!

Coltsfan

I just replaced my front yoke because it was leaking, and found my front two u-joints were binding. I was getting a nasty vibration from those front u-joints, because when the engine mounts loaded up the driveshaft angle changed from straight, to slightly angled. It sounds like you may be experiencing the same issue.

turboneon

ok a little update on the vibration. So first off its better but it seems when around 4k rpms or greater under any throttle input starts a bad vibration. Idk if its maybe a hot spotted clutch and fly wheel or maybe the front axles or even the motor and trans mounts?? Those are my main speculations but if yall have any input on this i sure would appreciate it

Coltsfan

Harmonic balancer.

acidrumz

Check your spark plugs gaps and wires?
My case was my wires. Installed some ngk and vibration went away.
Somehow engine was mis-firing.

turboneon

gaps are fine on the spark plugs i just checked them. I dont think its the harmonic balancer because when i feel the vibration going down the road and put it in neutral it goes away. The only thing i think i could be is the clutch because it slips in 4th at full power but the low gears its fine. Thanks again for all of the input

turboneon

Another update! I installed new front axles and it did help a lot. The vibration is still there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif guess im going to have to do some more prying. Anyone got any suggestions?

strokin4dr

That's what it was?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts