The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Feal CoilOver 441MI-05 7K 7K

EMX5636

Also interested. I like that they are assembled here versus overseas.

I haven't driven it, but I helped put a brand new set on a 1G DSM and the quality and finish of them looks very nice.

Last edited:

idreamidrive

I have inquired about them. Actually was looking into the 460s, but Odi won't make them for our cars. They have to be rally proven before he sells them.

Miata guys love FEAL suspension.
Subura guys love them too.

Odi knows his stuff. Go over to NAISOC and read all about them if you haven't already.

ApexHunter

They seem to be taking a good approach to the market here. The main components are sourced from Taiwan, but the guts are all spec'd out by Feal and built here in the USA. This gives them a lot of control over the performance of the shock/final product. Not a lot of the other guys competing in this price segment have the same capability, because the whole process goes down overseas. If you're not the one building the stuff, it's not as easy as one might think to make changes and control the final product.

I've been pretty interested in these guys and hearing good things from a lot of different places. I spoke with one of their R&D partners at a track day i did yesterday (we were sharing with Redline Time Attack). They have been working with them for a few years now, and i was able to glean a bit more from their experience. More and more, the Feal guys sound like they have a successful formula and a good product, arguably unbeatable at this price point. Fortune Auto has a similar formula but doesn't offer anything for the gvr4.

Also interesting: They are a HotBits distributor. Although it sounds like Larry Parker is still very supportive of his HotBits customers and has a lot of good history here.

Last edited:

tektic

Is there a product being sold though? There is no price next to vr4 in the list... all the other say the same price but a price none the less. So are they even available? I emailed the sales team a few days a go and didn't here anything back. I should check my spam folder I guess.

Last edited:

ApexHunter

I just spoke to them on the phone. They said they've done a handful of GVR4 kits. A couple of which were off the shelf spec, a couple were custom spec. MSRP on the OTS kits is $1350.

ApexHunter

I really want to get some personal experience with these soon, one way or another. If anyone in Socal already has a set, please contact me. I might be able to make it worth your while.

Heeltoe Auto is looking into offering them and i hope to have some more details soon.
Here's a video with some more background info. Feal Suspension, what we do

prove_it

Only if they come with carbon bodies and full payment up front and Garfield comes back to run it.

ApexHunter

^Ha, right. I'll see if i can get old Garf to process the payments for us on this one.

A group buy is not out of the question, as we've done a bunch of great ones for our Honda s2k and various Acura customers. Given the board's adversity, i might be more inclined to do some sort of other introductory special, and that way we wouldn't need a minimum number of orders to move forward. In any event, it's still too early to know.

prove_it

How do these compare to the BC coilovers?

ApexHunter

BC Racing is in Florida, but all of their manufacturing is overseas. Bor Chuan is the manufacturer, who does a bunch of private label stuff. Not sure how close BC Racing USA and Bor Chuan are. The big difference between Feal and many coilovers in this lower cost segment, is Feal sources components from overseas, but then builds all the dampers in house here in the USA. They are located in Ontario, CA.

If you are not manufacturing your own stuff, it can be difficult to get the product just right. You can tell the manufacturer something, and then how close they get to that or if they get there at all is not really under your control. And maybe you don't find out until after you receive 100 kits that just got freighted over.

Enough with the hypothetical scenarios...let's just say there are shock companies that don't actually make their own shocks. I am a fan of guys like Feal, who actually know the ins and outs, have the experience, build in house, do their own QC, and offer USA based product support.

Last edited:

tektic

I like the pretty colors...

But seriously though. They respond to me and said they did extensive tuning on a 1g and carried over most of that to the vr4. I don't think the have a vr4 to test. They are dyno tuned shocks and matched springs which are harmonic tuned for my car. That's good enough for me.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Quoting ApexHunter:
I am a fan of guys like Feal, who actually know the ins and outs, have the experience, build in house, do their own QC, and offer USA based product support.

Agreed. If I were in the market, I'd seriously consider a set of these.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting tektic:
and matched springs which are harmonic tuned for my car.

Please explain what this means or what you think it means.

tektic

Suspension Frequency refers to the number of oscillations or "cycles" of the suspension over a fixed time period when a load is applied to the vehicle.
I used harmonic instead of frequency.

EMX5636

I could consider being a test mule. PA roads are absolute garbage, and my car gets "asphalt rallied" often. My trusty KSports owe me nothing (even if I'm in the minority with good luck) but I'm ready to purchase a new set now that I have one, possibly two blown. I am torn between these, or the JIC's that G can get. I like everything about the inverted JIC's, but the exchange rate changes so often, it's hard to get a close price estimate. Low to mid price ranges are good, but high end could get a little steep with shipping.

GSTwithPSI

If I were buying coilovers, I'd pick a set of Feals over JICs anyday...Unless the JICs were Muellerized like Mark's. The JICs are just a higher end cookie cutter coilover (although the inverted monotube design is pretty legit). I've never seen any real R&D done for the Galant specific platform. I may very well be talking out of my ass here, so if said R&D exists, someone, please point me to it.

Although most of the R&D for the Feals was done on the DSM, those characteristics will closely carry over to our chassis. Not to mention, you have the option of custom valving, which would probably STILL be under what a new set of JICs cost shipped from Japan.

I completely agree with David's earlier statement; At the price point Feal is offering up, their product is pretty hard to beat given the availability of a quality coilover suspension setup for the E39A.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

The Feal do seem very promising and have been in contact with Odi about getting a set for my Miata. I have been going back and forth about getting a Feal set or Xida's since their is very little feedback about them on the Miata forums as well. The Subaru guys appear to love them. Odi is very knowledgeable and has even rebuilt a blown JIC for me in the past.

I will probably end up getting a set from him soon for the Miata.
If I did not already have the KW V3's on my Galant, I would also be getting a set for her.

ApexHunter

Good info. Yeah Odi seems to really know his stuff. I love how they started off tuning and servicing shocks, and then later became a manufacturer. That's a good jumping off point.

I have driven a Miata with the XIDAs. It was 949 Racing's 95 R Package car. They have a ton of travel and the ride quality is so buttterrrryyyyy. They are f'n brilliant. XIDAs use AST shocks. I've been in an e36 M3 with ASTs as well, on the track. Same deal. Really nice. You pay for it though.

Marty, if we are able to do promotional pricing for the gvr4 guys here, we would definitely extend that to your Miata just to get some more feedback. My friend has a 90 Miata turbo on MS, and his tuner (8 Bit) is doing some road race development work with Feal as we speak. After speaking with him a bit i am feeling pretty good about the Miata kit as well. Also lots of travel and good performance at a very reasonable price.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings