The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transmissions interchangeable

Fish

Hey guys

Stupid noob question but I've got a 91 base model galant with the 2.0 SOHC that the transmission has been making noise in for the past few years. Somebody recently gave me a transmission out of a 94 eclipse fwd turbo.

Does anyone know if it will work in my car? Will the gear ratios be about the same as what I have now? Anything need to be changed to make it work?

Thanks for the advice
Branden

slugsgomoo

I'm not familiar with a 2.0 SOHC but I believe that all the FWD 4gxx transmissions are interchangeable, at least in the proper generation.

EMX5636

FWD turbo and non turbo use different inner axle splines/joints if I remember right. The differential is bigger/stronger.

Fish

So could I just get new cv axles for it and bolt everything else in? Do you know if the input shafts are the same size and spline count? Is there anything else that I would need?

Thanks
Branden

EMX5636

Oh yea, I forgot. I think the clutch disk is different between turbo/non. But the trans itself will bolt in yes. Just make sure the trans mount bracket is the same (I can't remember).

Fish

So I finally got around to swapping this out. My original transmission (f5m22) dumped about a half quart of oil on the shop floor this new years day. I had also lost 4th gear completely, 3rd was on its way out and the input bearing was extremely noisy. I had the new transmission sitting around for quite some time now (f5m33).

I ended up needing to replace the cv axles as stated. The turbo ones do indeed have a much larger inner joint. I also had to change the transmission mounting bracket, starter plate, flywheel, and clutch. I discovered that the non turbo models have a smaller flywheel (same diameter as the turbo awd flywheel) compared to the turbo fwd cars and would not work with the new transmission as the starter is spaced further away on fwd turbo models. I ended up using a turbo fwd fidanza flywheel and it works perfectly. The original transmission mounting bracket was also different but I had a spare gvr4 bracket that ended up working.

Clearance was also an issue. After installing the new transmission it was slightly touching the subframe by the front diff. I removed the transmission and gently massaged (beat the sh*t out of with a large hammer) the subframe until I had the needed clearance. Everything now fit perfectly.

After the install was done I took the car for a drive only to notice that the second gear syncro is pretty much gone. The fun never ends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned