The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I Know...another Oil Question

Chad989of2000

Hey guys, I've always used Mobil 1 10w30 since I lived in an area that actually hosted winter. Now that I'm in the bay area can I run 5W30 or is there a preferred weight? Car will not see much DD, it will primarily be used for fun motoring and track days. Just looking for personal preferences on similar applications.

turbohf

Chad989of2000

Interesting read.

EMX5636

I ran Mobil 1 15w50 for the first probably 20k of this engine. Loved it. Towards the end though, it seemed like it was getting thinner and thinner out of the bottle and causing more and more little drips. I swapped to Valvoline VR1 20w50 for the last 5k or so, and have been as happy as I was with M1 in the beginning. Apparently they changed their formulations a couple years ago, and most people have noticed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chad989of2000

I've heard good things about the VR1. I run Royal Purple in the spec.B and like that just fine. I just wanted to see what the board users were using on their cars.

turbohf

I run the vr1 20w50... she cranks a little slow in the winter and the lifters arnt happy (new lifters in mail).

ktmrider

Quoting transparentdsm:
im up in tahoe and i run rotella t6 15w40 all year long, but the car doesnt get out on the roadto often in the winter.

This is what most of the folks I consider 4G63T smart suggest ( at least the weight ). Rotella T6 has lots of great oil analysis data by users to sway me to their product(s) and the lower price is a total bonus.

prove_it

I run the basic rotella. I haven't even bothered with T6. It is better, but still good.

ktmrider

Quoting prove_it:
I run the basic rotella. I haven't even bothered with T6. It is better, but still good.

Run both too, seemed like I got less coking/burn-off with the T6 ( less refill of oil between changes by like 1/2 qt ).

JamesFoster

Brad penn 20-w50 here. Have used vr1 in the past as well, good oil, I like BP better.

BpuVR4

Quoting turbohf:
I run the vr1 20w50... she cranks a little slow in the winter and the lifters arnt happy (new lifters in mail).

how cold are your winters? i try to run vr1 in the warm times, but once temperature starts hitting 40's, I switch to Rotella T6. It just takes too long to warm up the motor w the 20w50, dont have the patience for that.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

Quoting prove_it:

I love the 15w40 Rotella, very good for the money in my opinion. I only use the T6 for wintertime.

EMX5636

I would stay as thick as possible with oil. 10 or 15w40 being minimum if the car will see a lot of RPM. I think it was Kiggly who did testing on the stock pump, the thinner oils don't support the pump gears as well and it was shortening the lift of the oil pump and bearings. It wasn't even a HP thing. bobistheoilguy.com is actually a really good factual forum for oils. There are a bunch of back to back and group testing for all kinds of petroleum products. I chose VR1 over the Brad Penn from some test info over there.

diambo4life

Don't use 20W-50 oil in freezing weather (below 32*F) and if you run E85, don't use Brad Penn. 10W-30 is actually a good all weather oil weight. I use 10W-40 in the winter and 20W-50 elsewhere. There's no need to run 5W-30 in Cali.

EMX5636

I ran 15w50 Mobil 1 and now VR1 20w50 all year in PA and it regularly gets below freezing all winter. No issues, pressure comes up quickly and has been fine for 26+ thousand miles on this engine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I guess I don't abide by the rules.

Not saying you can't run 10w30 or it's a bad idea, just running a 20w isn't necessarily bad either, especially in a slightly looser than factory engine build. Can't comment on the E85 suggestion though.

Last edited:

ApexHunter

Rotella T6 in my evo, and i've used it in various cars over the years. 3k mi intervals in the evo, which sees 90% street/crusing. Considering the UOAs that come back on it, it's really tough to beat at that price point.

Last edited:

turbohf

Quoting BpuVR4:
Quoting turbohf:

how cold are your winters? i try to run vr1 in the warm times, but once temperature starts hitting 40's, I switch to Rotella T6. It just takes too long to warm up the motor w the 20w50, dont have the patience for that.

seem to get a 10F day or two out the year. but the galant is parked outside and frozen over at that point. but im pretty sure i have lit her off on a 19F day. plenty of 25-30F days. it does take a while to warm up, and like i said, lifters seem pissed off forsure.

i usually have 2-3 cars. and one will always be in garage, so it will be lest cold and not frosted over. plus im usually late, so that has won in the past.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned