The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where should i buy axles?

gvr4144

Was thinking about autozone axels for the life time warranty. Witch is nice, but i dont want them to break right away seeing how they will be for a high hp application.

G

Staff member
See if you can find a local re builder where you can take your OE axles in and have them rebuilt.

Vader

I've always had luck with empi axles although for my mitsu i only used the bearing and cage assembly. I removed the bearing/cage assembly and used the mitsu shaft with a synthetic grease blend. I've got around 3k miles on them so far with no noise! I haven't really started to make any snort with the car yet though (250-280hp estimated). If your looking for a really high hp application axle i would suggest looking in to the drive shaft shop, prepare to be bent over and taken for a hard ride though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

mitsuturbo

If you're going for such high hp numbers that stock axles won't do, then you're going to be shelling out a ton of money for stronger ones all the way around. Auto zone only sells front axles afaik and they generally have no issue handling power. If you're not making enough power to worry about twisting u joints apart or grenading transfer cases, just go with the duralast gold sh*t.

GVR4kauai

I'm running napa axles in the front and they are really nice, well built axles.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

The likelihood you already have remans is pretty high in my experience, with the car being as old as it is. One way to tell is that the boot will have scallops on it.

All that said, buy the lifetime autozone axles, I never hear of anyone breaking fronts. Rear end, rear axles, driveshaft joints & t-case seem to break long before then. Unless you're already breaking drivetrain parts, you don't need to spend huge money on raxles or OEM IMO.

manikbastrd

I have napa crapa axles and they work fine, but I only make 315 AWHP. I have broken a rear axle (oem) at that hp though...don't know if that helps at all. I also have searched everywhere for rears and can't find them except for the junkyard.

gvr4144

Thanks fellas, im just going to buy the duralast golds for the front and leave the back ones stock. See what happens.

bowler31185

If you are looking for a little more than stock but not insane there is a couple levels up from Driveshaftshop.com. They do have front and rear in a 600hp level and a 1000hp level.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting mikus:
^ that'll do but add one vote for RAXLES and really they're not very expensive.

Last I heard, Raxles did not make parts for these cars anymore. Maybe that is wrong info though.

gvr4144

I contacted raxles and this is what i got. Also i couldn't find any direct links for the vr4 only custom axles...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned