The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wiring woes!

se3razer

So my galant has a 1g DSM dash harness installed in it. I understand mitsu like other manufacturers use many same style plug ends but just because a plug slides in doesn't mean the pins are located the same like using a 2g aem in a 1g have to swap a few things. It would be wonderful if someone has came across this because I won't hook battery up until every wire is retraced or I buy both new harnesses. Needless to say it is a hot mess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

se3razer

I think I was floating between venting and if anyone knows if those dash harnesses are pinned the same other than the one plug where it meets the engine harness having a different connector. If someone says yeah totally works I did it then that's a starting point or should I just buy both harnesses?

tektic

Now would be a good time to start reading the electrical manual. Why do you think its a DSM dash harness?

se3razer

Because he said they took a 1g harness and swapped it in because the galant one was cut up and they had a 1g gsx dash harness and said it looked the same but that doesn't mean all the pin positions are so. I have the factory electrical manual and it is going to take days of man hours to go section by section. I just feel like it is crazy work since I didn't trace the other harness out and my last three messages have fell on deaf ears to the PO. He might have verified all the pins match but I just can't verify.

tektic

100s of man hours? I think not. First off identity witch connectors have been damaged or swapped. lable all conectors with masking tape lables. LOok for missing pins in the cable you think were swapped. Trace those circuits on the diagram. Sounds like an hour or 2 to me.

se3razer

There aren't any damaged wires. Its the whole dash harness from a 1g so that's assuming the cluster HVAC and every other thing that bolts to the gsx is the same as the vr4. I didn't say hundreds days like 16 hours. I completely built a new harness for my tc but I started the job and finished it. The car doesn't run but my mind says of any power and grounds leads are different from this gsx harness I have then the vr4 stuff will then burn up so I'm trying to avoid that. So I don't know how you would get there is only two hours of work there. I will upload pics. Not trying to be a resistance just some of the stuff said didn't match up with what I was saying. The dash harness is unmolested but from a gsx. Installed in my vr4 and the engine harness is a whole different monster.

se3razer

That's the engine harness as it sits when I bought he and the po told me it plugs right into the 1g gsx dash harness minus 1 connector is different. But I haven't dug into anything yet just kind of fiddled around so far like make the brake lines and going over the bolts and nuts. I would essentially have to ohm every point the dash and engine harness meet and make sure they go to the proper place in the car.

se3razer

Haha part out a car I bought Sunday that doesn't sound kosher. I want done with my 2g so I can drive this daily. Just needs some work. And parts then more work.

coyotes

I hope you didn't pay too much. Car looks like it needs a lot of work. Sorry man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Hopefully you can plow through it.

se3razer

I don't think it was too bad. 4 bolt swap new struts and shocks h&r lowering springs freshened engine has great compression spun it over with my jump pack spare engine trans and transfer case lots of misc extras for $1500. Not great but not a bad price probably about $1500 or so and I should be rock solid.

tektic

Well if you come up with a better idea take that route. I still think my advice was sound. My car runs off an a/t Galant harness I removed all the a/t stuff from and added all the turbo stuff to. It turns over the first time I had the computer set right and hasn't gone on fire yet.
I rtfm.

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

I can see how that bad hair, er, I mean all those unwrapped wires might seem difficult to trace out but not really too bad. The electrical manual will allow you to trace every wire. It has wire colors, gauge, everything you need. Today I helped a friend trace out and label the two big engine compartment wiring harnesses. If I recall there were something like 70 - 80 or so connectors. That includes just about everything under the hood including all the engine connectors, ABS pump, and the front of the car (e.g., lights, horns, ABS wheel sensors, etc.) I think it will be the re-wrapping and tucking work that will take longer than actually tracing them out.

Last edited:

se3razer

Yeah the engine harness portion doesn't bother me that rats nest is easily combed through just going to get out there tonight and go through the dash harnessand make sure all tthe wires are going into the right spots.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting se3razer:
the po told me it plugs right into the 1g gsx dash harness minus 1 connector is different.

Of course he did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

prove_it

I would search for the right harnesses and just swap them in. That's a mess. If your not very familiar with wiring and have decent experience, you will soon hate the car very passionately. There should be harnesses out there. IMHO, it's far better to pay a little more, than to sort all that mess out.

se3razer

Prove it sir you said exactly what I said at the beginning I have built harnesses but going behind someone half way through a job is much more work than starting from scratch. I am messaging with one guy for both harnesses. As for that other guy posting saying one hour I don't think so sir you are way too optimistic/unrealistic. I will get this car straight asap. I'm relentless.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Sounds like you're not sure what is in place inside the car at this time.

My suggestion would be to take a picture of the drivers side underdash, shooting straight up from below the fuse box so we can identify what's there.

The etac box would be visible in a pic of that area, and from that we will be able to give you more accurate advice.

It is my understanding that the dash harness in a usdm vr4 is specific to the usdm vr4 model .

I don't believe the any models of the 1g dsm got the etac system.

The galant base models and even the galant gsx (all wheel drive/non turbo) models do not have the etac system (to the best of my knowledge).

That makes the installation of anything but a vr4 dash harness into a vr4 an involved proccess. (The etac module has it's fingers in many systems, from the wipers all the way to down to it's keeping the accesories powered for a set time after the key is turned off.)

... I'm sure it can be done, but it's much more likely that things will never work right and there will be constant gremlins and occasional smoke.

Bodging in a 1g (or other) engine harness is *fairly* straightforward, but playing fast and loose with the chassis and dash harnesses will be significantly more involved.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts