The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner 631/1000

Coltsfan

Hi my name is Dayo, and I'm a 4G63T addict. I had an account on here before, but only to buy 4 lug rear hubs for my AWD Colt swap. I have since forgotten my login info.
Anyhow, new car, new account, and I'm stoked to have had the opportunity to save 631 of 1000 from the crusher.
10306264_1467330146837012_4181594705846325635_n.jpg

Last edited:

Turbo99

Towed it from way up in Maine to NY somewhere.

I was likely picking this up next week when I had access to a trailer. Apparently it's sold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

The car had no head on it, not sure if the d/s had been disconnected.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting Turbo99:
Towed it from way up in Maine to NY somewhere.

I was likely picking this up next week when I had access to a trailer. Apparently it's sold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

The car had no head on it, not sure if the d/s had been disconnected.

Well, if it wasn't, the center diff is probably fried now.

Jesus_Negros

Quoting xuberantz:
Welcome! What are your plans for the car?

RWD conversion lol jk
Welcome op!

Coltsfan

Sorry Turbo99, I really wanted this car.
As for the driveshaft, I disconnected it and taped it to the exhaust to keep it from rubbing on the companion flange.

The car is completely un-modded and the head and various parts are in the trunk. I'll probably just grab a head off one of the N/A motors I have laying around and put it back together stock. The cylinders look amazingly clean considering the car was supposed to have been sitting like this for a year. It needs paintwork, and some metal patching on the bottom, but I think I'll have it ready for DD duty by the end of the summer.

For now the plans are to restore it, undercoat it, and replace this.
1459738_1427108064192554_388090354_n.jpg

Ps. Towed it from Randolph Maine, to Tonawanda Ny. I covered 1200 miles round trip, and the whole thing took 21 hours. 11:00 am Friday to 7:45 am Saturday.

Last edited:

Coltsfan

I found a wear spot on the driver seat:
SU1BRzExNDkuanBn_zps5bbb7cd2.jpg

Welcome... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Coltsfan

My valve cover is almost ready.
SU1BRzExNzEuanBn_zps7d6677af.jpg

Coltsfan

So I've had a chance to dig into the car a bit, and apparently it's not %100 stock. So far nothing major, but I have noticed it has the balance shafts removed. I also looked up the numbers on the turbo, and turns out it's a big 16g. Wouldn't the stock turbo have been a 14b?

So far I've had a head cleaned and milled for it at my local machine shop. Then I lapped the valves, and replaced the valve seals, and transferred the stock "C" cams from the Gvr-4 head. I've spent a lot of time digging engine parts out of the trunk, cleaning them, media blasting them, and painting them. The car is filthy with mouse droppings in the dash and HVAC system, and 20+ years of grease in the engine bay.

So far I've bought accessory belts, a felpro head set, and just today I ordered a new knock sensor, because I noticed all my goo had leaked out. Things I had laying around the shop were: A great condition head, a Gates racing timing belt that I used for a week, some good condition timing tensioner and idler pulleys, new throttle body seals and BISS O-ring, a fairly new water pump, and an alternator to replace the rusted solid one that's on there.
Stuff I've bought used on forums have been a couple of the small water pipes for the turbo and the oil cooler. Things I still need are a windshield, and a left front corner marker...

The original cause for the timing belt failure was the idler pulley; all the ball bearings were out of it, and were jamming up in the water pump and crank pulleys. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures so far. I plan to start taking some better quality pictures of the car before and during it's progression back from the dead. I'm not sure if there's a place for build threads on here, but I would like to start one before I get too far along.

Any info about what the stock turbo was would be much appreciated.

G

Staff member
Don't forget the oil port mod on the head.

Coltsfan

The head was pretty fresh, and they only milled .005" off of it. The oil port still looks pretty hearty, and the felpro composite gasket leaves a pretty good gap so I decided to leave it alone.

Is the big 16g stock on a 92 vr4? Anybody???

Coltsfan

So it has been upgraded! Thank you coyotes!

I'm going to grab a bunch more photos of the car today, and start archiving the progress on here.

Coltsfan

Here's how the engine bay looks; all I've done so far in this picture has been pull off the lower timing cover, and water pipe, and replace the water pump. I've also cleaned the cylinders, and oiled the rings.

Last edited:

Coltsfan

The body is easily salvageable, but needs some welding just in front of the rear wheels.

Last edited:

Coltsfan

Up top there's barely any rust to be found, but it has quite a few door dings, peeling clear, and one badly rotted spot on the hood.

Coltsfan

The interior is one of this cars most redeeming qualities, and the glove box came fully stocked with more rodent feces than I'll ever need.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings