The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner- ?/1k Summit white from Colorado aka 677/1k

highrpm666

Hello. My name is Kirk, I am 29 and a mechanic 50+ hours a week. I am the very happy new owner of a 92 summit white vr4 with a sunroof. ?/1000. Unfortunately the badge has been removed and the keyfob is long gone. The car is running on a JDM swapped engine and the jdm cyclone manifold has been removed in favor of a usdm vr4/1g piece. Chassis has 177k engine has roughly 100k. I picked up the car last night and had to tow it from Loveland Co to Denver due to a possible bad tranny or clutch issue. Its in decent shape for its age and I am very excited to start digging in to her. The exterior is in good condition minus the peeling clear coat, windshield weather stipping and cracked tail lens. Interior is in need of some serious cleaning. Although the seats look great, steering wheel is haggard, carpets a bit gross and I think there is some petrified Wendy's frosty on the passenger door panel and carpet. Everything but the cruise control, drivers shoulder belt and ac work. It has the original head unit and eq in good working condition. Its completely stock from the air box to the original exhaust except for the swapped long block/2g exh-manifold/B16g. I plan to restore this piece of history to its original glory and then some. I'm going to attempt to post some pics shortly.

Last edited:

snailspool

Congrats on the find! Craigslist?

2000GTX

Welcome aboard.

If you even end up looking for some windshield trim, I maybe be able to help out with some of the corner pieces.

Let me know when the time comes, as I'm sure there are more important things to take care of on her now.

gvr4144

Nice bro did you buy this car from an old lady? There a white one in town an old lady drives...

highrpm666

Did a thorough inspection and cleaning to the car today. Found a few issues, ball joints and tie rods are in need of replacement. Timing belt is very aged and cracked. Found my manifold leak to be a stud broken off in the head(un-fixable, 2 broken drill bits in it). Valve cover and oil pan gaskets leaking a bit. Fixed a misfire with a new set of plugs wires also. As I had stated in my original post I had purchased the car with what the previous owner was told was a trans in need of a rebuild. I have driven the car and it seems to be a clutch issue. I inspected the master and slave cylinders and they are in good working condition and the slave extends fully so I assuming the adjustment is correct. It will not go into gear running but if you start the vehicle in gear you can drive it just fine an dandy if your careful without the clutch. Looks like I'm pulling the engine and trans to fix the clutch, install the new timing belt and detail the engine bay etc. Here is a bunch of pics from today after getting her somewhat cleaned up.

Last edited:

TurboTurtle

Just want to get it out of the way that nothing was swapped.
USDM VR4s never came with a cyclone manifold. Your car is just 100% stock lol

Love the SW! Wish i could find one

highrpm666

From what I was told about the vehicle it was purchased in 2008 by the po with a spun bearing. He sourced a jdm longblock with the intake manifold and matching turbo and injectors. It supposedly has a b16g and an act 2600. I was told the cyclone manifold was removed basically because whoever was working on it couldn't get it to function properly. We will see when I tear it apart as I cannot read anything on the turbo except tdo5h. Everything was installed by SCR performance in loveland also. The engine does have wierd yellow paint marker numbers on it, like the jdm engines usually do. As of now its a mystery.

Last edited:

Gmoney1983

So clean. Miss mine so bad. Gotta get another one someday. Bring that thing out here when you get her running tiptop. So I can drive it. Good find, I'm sure you'll have it all soryed out in no time. I'm thinking a few highway runs once I get the ss done.

highrpm666

Did some more inspecting of the car today and found my pivot ball/fork assembly is worn out like I suspected. The fork rests just to the passenger side of the access window. And while inspecting the clutch I found I have about .40mm of end play on my crankshaft. It cannot be moved by hand and makes no noises at all. Only way it will move is by pressing the clutch in with the car off. Engine running it doesn't seem to move at all. I am a 4g63 noob and I am not sure if this is bad yet or not. I am having clutch disengagement issues but my fork is hitting the trans case when pressed. Not sure if the crankwalk is adding to the mix as it doesn't seem to move when running. I am to understand that I am just above the acceptable amount of end play. How long do these engines usually last with this kind of crankshaft end play? Also I was able to verify that I do indeed have a big 16g, the only thing that made me smile today.

highrpm666

Measured the crank end play this morning with a better dial indicator. Got .0035" this time. Much less than my previous measurement. Still has me concerned though.

Last edited:

nemovr4

Ya!! My next one is gonna be Summit White...

Glad to see another around Denver!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

highrpm666

I am just resealing the engine and running it since I'm within spec. And to answer the other questions asked, yes I did get the car off of craigslist. I posted a wanted ad and within a month I had 4 different people contact me. I chose this one mostly because it fit my budget, it was clean/rust free and I love the sw 92's. It wasn't an old lady lol. It was a very cool guy in his mid 20's. And about the windshield trim pieces, I am interested but, my shop has a glass guy who is confident he can get me new trim with my new windshield. We will see. If any of you Colorado guys want to come see the car and chat(I could use some more mitsu knowledge) lemme know! I'm a suby guy and I'm not sure where to start upgrading once she is reliable.

Also does anyone know of an injector identification chart or something of the sorts? I'm confused as to what injectors I actually have. All I know is they are blue and possibly the 450cc? stockers.

Last edited:

NDVR4

MRmeetooxD, are you saying it is possible to recover the original steering wheel with a different leather?

highrpm666

My wheels center cover is also ruined, its badly warped. I attempted to bend it back and get it looking right the other day and it worked well other than when I turned the ignition on later the horn button was making constant contact! Quite a surprise. If I could re wrap the wheel and replace the cover I may just keep it. I was planning an aftermarket wheel/hub though.

jcrimboli

Great find! 1220 is summit white and suffers from the same clear coat issue as yours. Looks like you got your hands on a keeper. Good luck with the maintenance stuff, the reliable go-fast stuff seems to be in order sooner than later.

highrpm666

Finally, some of my parts arrived today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
New oem pivot ball and fork
New oem throw out and clip
Gates timing belt kit
New hyd tensioner
Turbo flange and manifold gaskets
Jnz tensioner arm tool and belt tension tool.

Still waiting on my water pump, cam seals, oil pan/valve cover gaskets and crush washers for my turbo lines. Wheel bearings, balljoints, and outer tie rods.

Still unsure if I need a clutch. I was able to verify that I do indeed have atleast an act pp installed. Its bright yellow. Im considering a spec stage 1 on an oem flywheel if my act needs replaced. I will know by monday as I plan to take her all apart sunday/monday. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings