The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My new toy

Blues15

Hello all, names Jeremy just recently purchased this 91 galant vr4 993/2000 with 130k on the clock. Was always a domestic type of guy but saw his little gem on Craigslist so decided to snatch it up an try something different. I'm kinda new to the whole DSM(don't flame me for that) world so I'm sure y'all will be hearing a lot from me. The body an interior is pretty clean for being 23 years old.

I am installing another engine right now cause the old one was junk an the previous owner started to part the car out, so far main things I need is a turbo an ecu. It does have some aftermarket goodies like a 2g maf with an injen intake, bigger intercooler, innovative wideband, auto meter boost gauge, 950cc injectors walbro 255 fuel pump, an a evo8 ecu.

Gonna be a long fun road ahead

Trunk full of parts

Previous owners handy work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Intercooler doesn't look like it's mounted right also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

This will be a fun project lol, but that's all I got for now, currently saving up for a act 2100 clutch an waiting for it to warm up to get back at the nuckle busting.

Leon_R

Nice, rust free GVR4! We do not get to see those around here, unless they were brougth up from the south /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

You can also use use a DSM steering wheel, just get one from turbo car (will be leather wrapped) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Blues15

Thanks guys. I got lucky I guess for finding this old of a car with little rust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I bought it from bcjjones, after looking around the forum he doesn't look like a great fellow.

Blues15

It's been a minute but here is the update

still needs a few thing like the radiator mounted and find a spot to mount the battery and the car starts but revs high to about 3000 rpm then dies, I can feather the throttle and it bogs a little but will stay running. Not sure what it could be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I was leaning towards a boost leak but haven't gotten around to checking.

BUT THEN!

FUUUUUU /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. So I guess ill be doing a headgasket now

Wookalar

That looks like a really nice chassis, good base to start with. No rust in any of the typical spots (strut tops etc), you even have ac lines, cc, abs, and that little flapper door.

If I had assloads of money I would make you an offer and rebuild that one from chassis up.

Throw a bunch of leatherique rejuvenate on those seats asap and they might soften up a bit, they are in fairly ok condition for their age. The interior doesnt look so bad. You gonna pull that carpet and clean it? The steering wheel is shot however you could get that recovered if you wanted. Or go aftermarket with a hub.

Looks like a great base to star with.

Blues15

Alright it's been 2 years since I've had this car but I finally got it going! This whole time thinking I had a boost leak ended up being the damn vacuum line off the brake booster to the intake lol, needs dsm link or some kind of tuning software. Pulled the plugs after a few hours of running it and they were black so tells me it's running rich I'm guessing it's cause of the Walbro 255 pump bigger injectors an I'm still using the stock FPR. The other day I got on it and when I let off the throttle I died I'm thinking it's cause of the lightweight flywheel I've heard that happening to other but still not sure. Needs a good detail but she starts right up and drives.

click

transparentdsm

its probably dying because you have bigger injectors and nothing to compensate so your flooding the motor. find stock injectors ASAP and replace them till you can adjust for the injectors. you can not just throw injectors in a car and expect the car to autocorrect its self.

edit: so i just read the first post and it states you have an evo 8 ecu in the car?? if so find and evo guy locally and see if they can help. evoscan is a free tuning device and if the evo 8 ecu is in the car already you technically already have tuning software.

Also, nice car. it does look clean. some exterior TLC and she'll be beautiful.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

is it tactrix thats the tuning stuff then and all you need is to buy the cable right?

edit: i just went to evoscan.com and you can tune with that stuff, it lets you re-flash the computer. its not free your right, you need to buy the cable for your car.

Last edited:

Blues15

Ok ill find some stock injectors and go from there. Will I harm the engine if I run it with the bigger injectors?. Im a total noob to these engines. Also I did have an evo 8 ecu but ended up buying a stock ecu from a guy off craigslist, he had it in a gvr4 also. Seems to work great like I said the car started right up and there is no check engine light on also.

thomcasey

If you have no way of tuning them, then you do not want to run injectors twice the size of stock. IF the car runs at all, you will surely wash the cylinder walls, put gas in your oil and spin some bearings. With the 2gMaf, you could run 550/560's, but not 950's

Blues15

I do have a 2gmaf and the injectors are precision 550cc, I figured with the slightly bigger turbo the injectors would go in hand with the little mods it does have. Guess the car will stay parked til I can get dsmlink or something similar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

thomcasey

I have run 550/2gmaf on a stock ECU without issues for years. The 950's would be the bad to run

MellowVR4

With a 2g maf you can run with 550cc? with out a safc or chip? Curious my self.

strokin4dr

550s with a 2g mas is an old school way of upgrading a 1g without much fuss. Things don't line up perfectly, but it was "good enough" in the pre-dsmlink days.

thomcasey

560's are best for this setup as the injector deadtime is the same for the 450's and 560's. But, I ran 21-23psi for 1 1/2 years in my old Talon this way until I got link. I kept an eye on my AFR with a wideband, plus had an AFPR and Wally 255, but this setup was pain free and worked great.

Blues15

The exhaust is stock so I gotta find an o2 bung and get it welded in to install my wideband. Dumb question but how do I find out what boost pressure im running? I haven't really ran the car hard to build boost, It does have a manual boost controller, looks to be a cheap Chinese one .

thomcasey

You need to install a Boost Gauge so you can see what you are running.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts