The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New guy from Mass with a 4G63 Ram 50 and now a GVR4

4g63mightymax

Hi,
I'm Jeremy from Massachusetts and I recently acquired a Galant VR4 project that I will probably do something interesting with, I just haven't decided what that is yet. Luckily I am not a noob to 4G63's or Mitsubishi's, so there is a fair chance that it will drive again. Before I get into that though, you may want to check out my 4G63 Dodge Ram 50.
1989-Dodge-Ram50.jpg

1989dodgeram50.jpg

It was recently featured in Modified Magazine, which was quite cool. There is a build thread HERE if you have a few hours to burn. If not, here are the cliff notes:
1989 Ram 50 Ext cab
4G63
Evo 8 turbo
650cc injectors
ECMlink
Montero LSD
18" escalade wheels
Dodge viper Brembos and 11" rear rotors
CTS-V 14" front rotors
Some other stuff

So - Then there is the VR4. You may recognize it as well because it has been around the block (and the entire United States!). It is 1991 #1803. The white one with the partial right hand drive swap. Sadly, it is missing the RHD door panels, console, all the HVAC stuff, parts of the dashboard, etc. So like I said, I'm not entirely sure of what I will do with it from here. The good news is that it doesn't have rust, so that is always nice. Here is what it currently looks like.

galantvr41803_3.jpg

galantvr41803_4.jpg

galantvr41803_5.jpg

So - Anybody got any of the original parts from this thing? Old pictures of it (other than the ones in the old FS thread) or interesting history about it? I would love to know more about it.

Thanks in advance!

-Jeremy

Captn

Nice!!! I have been wanting a mighty max/ ram 50 for a while! Looks awesome!

Good luck with the galant it looks pretty clean.

Last edited:

fuel

I may be able to help with a RHD drivers side door panel and other RHD bits. Send me a PM of what you need.

G

Staff member
Better late then never /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif >> click

4g63mightymax

Hey wow! That's me! I'm thrilled that you guys saw the article and liked it. And thanks for the welcome!

Jesus_Negros

Nice MM, isnt the ctsv and escalade 6lug?

Also, I wanted to buy that rhd gvr4 shell so bad last year.

4g63mightymax

Yes, the Mightymax's, Ram 50's, Escalade's, Viper, and CTS-V's are all 6-lug. Unfortunately they aren't all the same bolt pattern. The other problem was that the mightymax/Ram 50 front brake rotors bolt onto the back of the hub, and the rear came with drum brakes, so the update was a bit complicated, as you can see...

Boring the center of the front CTS-V rotors...
viperbrakes2.jpg

Drilling the new holes in the Viper rear rotors
viperbrakes5.jpg

Ta-da! CTS-V front rotor bolted to the stock hub vs. stock Ram rotor. Overkilled it slightly, I know. Looking back, I would have done it differently.
viperbrakes3.jpg

-Jeremy

Jesus_Negros

So I assume you couldn't hub swap with something else.

4g63mightymax

Well, you can definitely use toyota hubs on the Mitsu trucks, and they are 5-lug. Then you need to either redrill the rear axles to match or swap a new rear end in. Once you have the 5-lug pattern, you could use the factory toyota truck brakes (basically the same size as the Mitsu's) or you could get silly and do some kind of custom brake swap like I did. I guess it just depends what you are after.

The reason that I upgraded was because I got all the Viper stuff for free on the condition that I installed it on my truck. Seemed like a good idea at the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5OF2k

Just read through the WHOLE thread, very awesome build man. Has my head turning, as we speak. Especially considering I saw a few on my local CL for less than a grand...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Kudos, and welcome!

-Jake

4g63mightymax

Thanks Jake! Yeah, my 40+ page build thread is 25% actual build thread, and 75% chit chat about cats, 4G63 wiring, MPI relays, etc. Glad you enjoyed it! I'm hoping that my GVR4 can be equally entertaining. I just need to figure out which direction that I want to go in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jesus_Negros

What trans did you use?

nemovr4

That is cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Great job!!

4g63mightymax

Well, its a Frankenstein transmission. It is technically a "narrow block KM132" from a Mightymax/Ram 50 with a 2.0L engine....
....But it has KM132 wideblock internals
...And a starquest tail section to move the shifter rearward 3 inches (due to the 4G63 engine placement)
...And I converted it to be a hydraulic clutch by welding in a new bellhousing piece from a diesel...

I also use a 6-bolt fwd flywheel with a pilot bearing machined into the center, a 225mm clutch disc and DSM pressure plate.

MarW90GSX

Awesome! loved your build thread! alot of good info I have passed onto my cousin lol

DynastyLCD

welcome to our forum, and very nice build! i had a '91 Mighty Max... i regret ever selling it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

keep up the good work, hopefully the GVR4 will be just as epic as your truck. lovin' the caddy wheels in black too, nice touch!

IncorpoRatedX

Jeremy! welcome. Get bored on HRCS? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4g63mightymax

Hi Josh! Nope, I didn't get bored, I just figured now that I am a GVR4 owner, I should be a member of the official forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I also was looking up the history of my car to try to figure out if the guy that swapped it to RHD is actually a member here (doesn't seem to be?). I enjoy knowing the history of the cars that I own, and that swap is a big part of this car's history. It's probably the only reason this car has survived as long as it has.

Boos929

good to see another member from mass welcome and wow!!!! what a sweet truck, awesome build

EMX5636

Great looking truck build! I've always been thinking about either one of these, or a 4cyl Cummins swap into a D50. Love the custom brakes and one-off parts! Congrats!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings